MacBook Air 11" Shuts Down whilst Sleeping...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by roblawton, Mar 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Over the last month or so, I've noticed that if I leave my MacBook Air to sleep for over an hour (this is an approximate, I've not timed it) - It will shut down. So when opening up, I have to hit the power on.

If I just leave it for a few minutes, it's instant on as usual.

I've tried a couple of different reboots (resetting PRAM) but none seem to resolve this intermittent problem.

Any ideas folks...?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Found that, but it doesn't go into 'Standby' it literally Shuts Down.

So instead of the usual; Click Trackpad, Press a Key, etc... I have to power on and wait for it to boot up...

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you checked your battery level?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, battery is always fine.

I can't remember for sure, but I think it's even done it whilst plugged in and charging.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

After a fair bit of testing tonight, it doesn't happen when it's plugged in.

So it's just when it's running off the battery... Need to do some more testing/playing I think.

7. macrumors newbie

I've had this happen to me several times, and clearing the PRAM cleared it up for me (booting up while holding shift key down until 2nd restart). Also, if you want to do quicker testing, set your deepsleepdelay in terminal to something less than 70 minutes -- I set mine to 5 minutes for quick and easy testing :)

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power/battery/charging/sleep issues. Resetting it will not help. For power issues, reset the SMC. Instructions in the link below. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. macrumors newbie

Turn off Hibernate to Fix this issue

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Turning off hibernate mode worked for me. My MacBook Air 11" now wakes immediately when opening the lid and never shuts down while sleeping on battery power. There's clearly a bug in power management regarding hibernate mode. Until Apple fixes the issue, use this workaround.

10. emx620, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

macrumors newbie

I don't understand why people use this as a workaround. This isn't fixing the root problem, but rather putting a bandaid on it. If you go this route, instead of getting 30 days of standby time, you'll only get a couple days as the laptop will only be sleeping. If you're having to press your power button after an hour of sleep, I'd take it to Apple and have a Genius fix it for you.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking the same... I'd rather have it fixed/replaced whilst I can, rather than temporarily fixing it and it possibly re-occuring later, when I'm out of warranty.

I'll book an appointment and report back what happens with the Genius.

12. macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I haven't seen a thread with this much "whilst" in it for a long time.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

If a word is there, may as well use it whilst you can...

14. macrumors demi-god

Staindsoul

haha, was thinking same thing

15. macrumors 65816

I opened mine today and it wouldn't wak up. I had to hit the power button several times and it booted up. This has only happend once or twice since ive had it for several months. I had 77% battery when it booted up. is there a log to see what happened?

16. macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

lol! :D

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:

Before booking to see a Genius, I thought I'd try reinstalling OSX breaking out the little USB reinstall drive and doing a full reinstall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After reinstalling everything and getting all the software updates sorted, I left it to sleep when I went to bed...

In the morning, as soon as I opened the lid, it woke up! So it's working again.

Very strange but at least it's working now!

18. macrumors newbie