Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geelmeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2011
Quick question. I am going to get a 13 macbook air. I'm deciding between the i5 and i7. Money isn't an issue. My question is doing tasks like browsing, iTunes video and the like, does the i7 run hotter than the i5? And does it have worse battery life? Thanks in advice.

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
No idea. I use a 2011 MBA 13'' i5 and I can play everything you've mentioned just fine.

It seems people with i7's use it for programming or photo editing.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
For The Things

You want to do that you mention here, the i5 will be fine for you. I chose the i7 because I video render in real time and backup large music files.

I can report that the i7 shows no signs of overheating or misbehaving at all....Mind you, I've only had it just over a week!

CardboardGiant

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
I forgot to mention I've had mine for a month now, and it's never over-heated before.

It gets slightly warm when playing flash or watching videos on youtube and other online video services that I cannot mention here.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
If money isn't an issue then go with the i7. No one ever complained about having too much power. I have never had any heat issues with my i7 and my battery life is the same as others with the i5.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Quick question. I am going to get a 13 macbook air. I'm deciding between the i5 and i7. Money isn't an issue. My question is doing tasks like browsing, iTunes video and the like, does the i7 run hotter than the i5? And does it have worse battery life? Thanks in advice.

I have the exact configuration you're talking about and it runs fast, cool and quiet. I've put a lot of time on it and it's been very trouble free. I am very happy with my 13" i7 MBA w/ 4GB & 256GB SSD. Battery life is stellar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.