Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mutaji

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
hey all!

i am thinking of buying a mac for myself , i am a windows user so i'll be using windows on mac too.

macbook pro 13 (2k15) - Core i5 2.7GHz/8GB/256GB/Iris Graphics 6100 - getting this for $1400

macbook air 13 (2k15) - Core i5 1.6GHz/4GB/256GB/Intel HD 6000 - getting this for $1100

which one is worth it? and future-proof too?

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Definitely go for the Pro. The Retina Display is easily worth $300 over the poor and out-of-date screen on the Air.

The small difference in weight is a small price to pay for the vastly better specs on the Pro.

What's your intended usage?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
There is no such thing as future proof.

The Pro has more RAM great if you want to run more programs at the same time or use VM's.

It also has a far better screen, force trackpad, more ports and better CPU and graphics, it is all round a better computer and your eyes will love you for choosing it over the air.

If it's for your own use I will reccomend that you give OSX a good try before installing that dog that is windows 8.1 on your lovely mac. There is pretty much nothing most users need that can't be done just as well if not better in OSX (gaming excepted) and it is pleasure to use in comparison. It doesn't take too much time to learn and is well worth the effort IMHO.

mutaji

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Definitely go for the Pro. The Retina Display is easily worth $300 over the poor and out-of-date screen on the Air.

The small difference in weight is a small price to pay for the vastly better specs on the Pro.

What's your intended usage?

just for the normal use , surfing , watching movies , normal editing sometimes.

and in the macbook air forum someone said that retina sucks while using windows via bootcamp.is that true?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
and in the macbook air forum someone said that retina sucks while using windows via bootcamp.is that true?

I haven't had a problem with it, but I'm also running Windows 10. Maybe Windows 8.1 doesn't support HiDPI?

mutaji

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
There is no such thing as future proof.

The Pro has more RAM great if you want to run more programs at the same time or use VM's.

It also has a far better screen, force trackpad, more ports and better CPU and graphics, it is all round a better computer and your eyes will love you for choosing it over the air.

If it's for your own use I will reccomend that you give OSX a good try before installing that dog that is windows 8.1 on your lovely mac. There is pretty much nothing most users need that can't be done just as well if not better in OSX (gaming excepted) and it is pleasure to use in comparison. It doesn't take too much time to learn and is well worth the effort IMHO.
i would love to use OSX if i find the apps and softwares i use in windows for OSX

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
OP, ignore ignorant comments like these.

Hey no ignorance here I have windows 8.1 installed on my 13 inch rMBP for studying. It works fine apart from no tap to click option (WTF) and the text being a bit small with HiDPI scaling, it is fast and fluid and works exactly as it should and I hate it!!!
It is irritatingly difficult to use and unintuitive, finding anything and installing anything is a pain but not as bad as uninstalling things, I rarely seem to be able to boot into it without doing a million updates. The tile interface, is pointless irritating and ugly on a non touchscreen device and the programs are expensive unpolished and buggy.

Horses for courses, some people love it but if you can give OSX a good try you may be very pleasantly surprised I was and now I dread having to use windows.....

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
If you have the Bootcamp drivers installed, then Tap To Click option is there. ;)
And you can install classic shell and have 8 work like 7. It bypasses the tile interface completely.

Muscle

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
I was in the same boat, mba, rmbp, or rmb.

Went with the rmbp, better performance, better screen.

The rmbp 13" is actually smaller in size albeit a little thicker and heavier (but only by about .1 inches and less than half a pound which is really nothing). Battery life is pretty damn good on the 13" rmbp already. I get 6-8 hours of heavy usage (web browsing, streaming, using my trading platform all thru a VPN).

The mba is due for a big refresh, the rmb to me is kinda pointless, its an iPad air with a keyboard

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I was in the same boat, mba, rmbp, or rmb.

Went with the rmbp, better performance, better screen.

The rmbp 13" is actually smaller in size albeit a little thicker and heavier (but only by about .1 inches and less than half a pound which is really nothing). Battery life is pretty damn good on the 13" rmbp already. I get 6-8 hours of heavy usage (web browsing, streaming, using my trading platform all thru a VPN).

The mba is due for a big refresh, the rmb to me is kinda pointless, its an iPad air with a keyboard

Ha ha ha the macbook air is dead the rMB is the replacement...

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
macbook air is dead? really?

I noticed you are new here. Welcome to Macrumors, where exaggeration and being over-dramatic is the norm.

The Air is still a great computer. Personally I'd go for the Pro since it isn't much heavier with identical thickness while also getting a retina display, force touch, more CPU/GPU, etc...

I did recently get an Air for a family member since I bought it for good deal. It's still a nice machine and people are being way too dramatic about the screen.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
macbook air is dead? really?

In terms of upgrades and getting any new tech then yes. The writing is on the wall there. It's going the way of the non-retina macbook pro. It'll hang around for a couple of years as is until the rMB has good enough performance and then they'll bin it.

mutaji

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I'm curious, why did you go with the Air? Because of price?

because it was my first choice and i love the way it looks , as i am not a professional editor or something i think air will do just fine for me

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Unless you explicitly want a non-retina screen (and given the still-sad state of retina support in third party software), you may very well want a non-retina screen), the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina will always be the better machine. This is usually the case, however, it is a bit more so with this Early 2015 (Broadwell) generation, given that now the 13" rMBP has Force-Touch AND faster RAM than its MacBook Air counterpart.

Also, let's be real here, opting to not go the 13" rMBP route because you're not a pro user is like opting for a double bacon cheeseburger over deep fried chicken because it is healthier. Neither machine really has the muscle for intense work, however, one very clearly provides more mileage over the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.