Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngeharley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Just installed Windows 7 using parallels desktop 6, however the avaliable flash memory in Windows is only 64 GB, under Leopard I have the full 256 GB avaliable.
How can I get the full flash memory of 256 GB valiable also for Windows? :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just installed Windows 7 using parallels desktop 6, however the avaliable flash memory in Windows is only 64 GB, under Leopard I have the full 256 GB avaliable.
How can I get the full flash memory of 256 GB valiable also for Windows? :confused:
Why do you need that?

Did you try going to disk utility and select the drive and partition it?
No, Disk Utility can't help with VM disk space assignments.
Disk Utility is for the disks you use, HDDs, SSDs, USB flash memory thumb drives and ODs.

As Windows is installed via VM, it gets a certain amount of disk space assigned from Parallels Desktop (or the amount you chose), and it can't be the entire capacity your SSD has, as VMs are stored in a file or several files (accumulating to 64GB in your case), thus having a Windows VM with 256GB would mean, the file(s) could be 256GB in size.

Again, why do you need the VM to have 256GB of disk space capacity?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Why do you need that?

No, Disk Utility can't help with VM disk space assignments.
Disk Utility is for the disks you use, HDDs, SSDs, USB flash memory thumb drives and ODs.

As Windows is installed via VM, it gets a certain amount of disk space assigned from Parallels Desktop (or the amount you chose), and it can't be the entire capacity your SSD has, as VMs are stored in a file or several files (accumulating to 64GB in your case), thus having a Windows VM with 256GB would mean, the file(s) could be 256GB in size.

Again, why do you need the VM to have 256GB of disk space capacity?

I too am wondering why you'd need all 256GB in a VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.