Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbo18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Nottingham
Hi,

I have a Macbook Air 2011 running OSX El Capitan, it was the i5 model with 4gig RAM. It has been working fine over the last 5 years but yesterday I opened up the laptop as I normally do from sleep and it had a kernel panic.

The actual issue that happens is the screen does not turn on the I hear 3 beeps noises. I know this means there is a RAM issue so I started googling and found a few threads about thermal past around a heat sink etc. One thread said leave the laptop running with the beeps until it gets really hot and runs out of battery. I did this then plugged it back in and I got the screen shown as shown in the dropbox link (upload file wasn't working).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/351r8423pk12hco/IMG_3518.jpg?dl=0

My options from what i have read are to replace the thermal paste on the heat sink or take it to Apple and pay whatever price required to fix it. My feeling though taking it to Apple is they will most probably quote to replace the logic board which will most probably cost a fair chunk of what the selling price or the laptop would be.

If someone can read the picture in the dropbox link and tell me the exact issue from the read out then if possibly offer some possibly solutions.

Thanks

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.