Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
The profile made it little better but I still find the screen dimmer compared to my 11" 2010. Thanks for the info though. :eek:

You can try my profile. I find that it is a bit cooler and brighter than that one. (this is all on my panel, it could be different for you) Though of course if the panel is not outputting the same luminance, a profile won't change that, that much.

Attachments

• Spyder4Express.icc.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 848

SLM9555

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
One that that makes me feel a little better about my LG screen is at full brightness, it is a tad brighter than the Samsung. I held both side by side with the same content on.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Any more comparative info on the AUO panels?

I have to say this thread is irrationally giving me a touch of clinical depression and I wish I hadn't seen it. I take solace in owning a Samsung SSD lol

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
I went from 2011 LG+Samsung SSD to 2012 LG+Toshiba. The screen is as good as before and the Toshiba SSD is faster than last year's already fast Samsung drive. Back in 2011 this issue bothered me a lot (first laptop and all) for a few days.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I went from 2011 LG+Samsung SSD to 2012 LG+Toshiba. The screen is as good as before and the Toshiba SSD is faster than last year's already fast Samsung drive. Back in 2011 this issue bothered me a lot (first laptop and all) for a few days.

funny thing is, if people didn't read these forums they would never know and be completely happy

pogiboi

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Unfortunately i noticed immediately my screen was weak compared to my 2011 Air. Decided to see what the brands were and sure enough my old Air had a Samsung and my new one has a LG. Mine was a 8GB Base bto model.

e.n.d.

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Yeah I wish I never read about this too.

I have two machines right now, one with the Samsung and one with the LG. The difference is small but noticeable. Reds and oranges are a hair more saturated in the Samsung. Contrast is more pronounced too. I liken it to the difference in black levels between LCD and plasma.

Sucks the one I BTOd has the LG :/. If your main purpose is not photos I would say its a non-issue. I'll look into getting a better color profile.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
funny thing is, if people didn't read these forums they would never know and be completely happy

The whole LG and Samsung screen debate stems from MacRumors. I don't see this "issue" anywhere on the internet/google search.

I didn't even realize I had an LG screen on my 2012 Ultimate 13''. I had a Samsung screen on my 2011 MBA and I cannot tell the slightest difference.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The whole LG and Samsung screen debate stems from MacRumors. I don't see this "issue" anywhere on the internet/google search.

I didn't even realize I had an LG screen on my 2012 Ultimate 13''. I had a Samsung screen on my 2011 MBA and I cannot tell the slightest difference.

Actually, it has been brought up numerous times on the Official
Apple Forums, it's not an issue for everybody, but for me, readability on the Samsung screens is much better. That's the only issue for me, I can fix the colour, I can't fix readability.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Actually, it has been brought up numerous times on the Official
Apple Forums, it's not an issue for everybody, but for me, readability on the Samsung screens is much better. That's the only issue for me, I can fix the colour, I can't fix readability.

My bad.. guess I haven't been looking hard enough.

I use Pixelmator, mainly for resizing images and the healing tool, so color isn't a problem for me. Although I have heard that iMac's and Macbook Pro's are better for photo/picture modification.

I wonder why Apple has decided to use 2 different types of screens instead of 1.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
My bad.. guess I haven't been looking hard enough.

I use Pixelmator, mainly for resizing images and the healing tool, so color isn't a problem for me. Although I have heard that iMac's and Macbook Pro's are better for photo/picture modification.

I wonder why Apple has decided to use 2 different types of screens instead of 1.

Funny thing is, they actually use 3 different types. AU Optronics, Samsung and LG. I assume it's so they can actually get all screens they actually need, and that they can't be held to ransom on the cost.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
You can try my profile. I find that it is a bit cooler and brighter than that one. (this is all on my panel, it could be different for you) Though of course if the panel is not outputting the same luminance, a profile won't change that, that much.

Just want to thank you for this, it definitely improved things. I actually have that calibration device somewhere in storage so if I find it I'll get around to doing this, but in the mean time this is awesome. :)

Geminist

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
Got an LG display too.

Tried the guide on the first page, made a huge difference (colour is now warmer, previously it was washed off).

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
I liken it to the difference in black levels between LCD and plasma.

Very good analogy! I have a 2010 Samsung screen and a 2012 LG and that is exactly how I would describe it. The truth is though, the LG is not bad and without the screens side-by-side most people wold never know the difference. I'm keeping mine.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I don't want to know. I just got my MBA and the last thing I want to do is feel that some component is inferior. I checked the flash controller, and it's a Samsung, and I'm not going to find out whether I won or lost the panel lottery.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I love how some people turn subjective opinions about an LCD panel's color into objective criteria of better and worse.

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
I just picked up an 11" i7/256/8GB from the store and it has the Samsung SSD and LG screen. Browsing through the replies on this thread, it seems that every 2012 11" has the LG screen.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I just picked up an 11" i7/256/8GB from the store and it has the Samsung SSD and LG screen. Browsing through the replies on this thread, it seems that every 2012 11" has the LG screen.

Are there any other definitive patterns like this ?

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

actually it mentions that it came from macrumors, can someone try to find the original thread and post it here for others to use.

Thanks for posting this. Just used it on my 11" 2012 w/ LG screen and it made a world of difference.

At this point, I think I'm fine with the LG display because like I mentioned in my earlier post, it doesn't seem like anyone (at least from those that have posted in this thread) has gotten a non-LG display on a 2012 11".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.