Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellang

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2005
Bump.

I also only have three options. What gives?

Hi, this is more than likely because your USB stick is formatted in NTFS rather than FAT32. If you create it using the MS Windows 7 tool it formats it as NTFS and EFI on mac or PC can't read it. Copy the info off the stick, format it as fat32 then do a copy of all files (hidden etc) back onto it. Will work then. Had the same problem.

outis13

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Has anyone tried installing Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 (no matter how hard I try, I can't stand the new ways of doing things)? Thanks in advance for any reply

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Has anyone tried installing Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 (no matter how hard I try, I can't stand the new ways of doing things)? Thanks in advance for any reply

Windows 7 wont work as well as Windows 8.. just download the Windows 8 start menu and clone like windows 7 problem solved

donie

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
My latest finding is booting "Windows to Go" on an external HDD using UEFI exclusively. Now I have a dedicated HDD running Windows 8.1 preview (It will work on vanilla Windows 8 also) while using Bootcamp drivers simultaneously on UEFI. How cool is that to save space? :D

If anyone is interested, I can make a tutorial how to do it.

Would love to know how to install windows to go with EFI :D

malisa

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I have an Air on order: 13" i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

I have had to make some decisions on this unexpectedly as my MBP (2009) was stolen. It had 140GB HD and I'd upgraded the RAM to 8GB. I wasn't planning on replacing my computer, but am forced to now.

I have never run Windows on my Macs. I use Windows at work (school teacher, old dog desktops running XP) and there are a couple programs that I'd like to get that are Windows only. So I'm considering adding Windows to my new computer.

Standard 13" comes with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. I got advice to upgrade both, particularly if I'll be installing Windows. I am sure that for everything else I do currently, 4GB is plenty. And the bigger SSD I know I can do without if need be (plenty of external drive and cloud storage available).

I've been without a computer for a week (typing this on my husband's new 13" Air...both were stolen). I ordered my computer the other day but it won't be in for another week. I don't know if it's worth the wait.

Biggest question: Do I need the 8GB? What will I notice one way or another? Someone said it was really more future-proofing the computer. I'm really trying to be patient but I may very well cancel my order and just run down and buy one off the shelf. Thoughts?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Biggest question: Do I need the 8GB? What will I notice one way or another? Someone said it was really more future-proofing the computer. I'm really trying to be patient but I may very well cancel my order and just run down and buy one off the shelf. Thoughts?

Another 'Do I need 8 gigs RAM' post.

Go buy one off the shelf.

inodes

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the thread. Very interesting to note.
Why the move to Windows though?

Why not just bootcamp Windows and then use Windows for the times you absolutely must.

In my mind the only advantages of Windows over OS X relates directly to Direct X being supported by a lot more games and being more effective.

I am both a Windows Administrator and Unix Administrator with 20 years Windows experience, and 15 years Unix experience and worth commenting on the two OS's.

Apart from that unfortunately, Windows has serious design flaws.
Big thumbs up for changes under the skin with Windows 8, but keeping the registry around and a lot of the methodology behind how apps are initialised (executed on start up), settings being stored all over the place are very poor.

Apart from gaming, it's like going from a Mercedes Benz S Class and stepping into a 2014 Ford Fusion (with a 1993 engine).

I mean seriously Apple? Where is the Windows 8 gestures and especially pinch-to-zoom?

That's something worth asking Microsoft. Apple's gestures don't automatically transfer over obviously.

fusion71

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Would love to know how to install windows to go with EFI :D

I just did this for my mac mini late 2012 following this guide
http://blog.exchange-addict.com/2013/02/windows-to-go-uefi-only_19.html. I used a USB HD instead of a USB stick (only certified USB sticks with "flipped RMB" appear as fixed disks to windows and can have more than 1 partition).

Everything works including sound, HD 4000 graphics and HDMI audio after installing the latest Boot Camp Support Software 5.0.5033.

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Has anyone tried an EFI install of Windows 7? I don't own Windows 8...

Edit: I tried multiple times and cannot get the option to boot into EFI to install. I guess BIOS it is :/

Last edited:

fusion71

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Has anyone tried an EFI install of Windows 7? I don't own Windows 8...

Edit: I tried multiple times and cannot get the option to boot into EFI to install. I guess BIOS it is :/

I've found some interesting reading for those wanting to know why it is so difficult/impossible to get Windows 7 working in (u)efi mode on macs as opposed to Windows 8 - Windows 7 is not fully uefi compliant.

In the article "UEFI Support and Requirements for Windows Operating Systems"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463144.aspx it mentions that for Windows 7, "existing Windows dependencies on INT 10 video BIOS functions also require a CSM". In its advice to firmware manufacturers, it recommends that when secure boot is disabled ie for booting versions of windows other than Windows 8 (such as Windows 7), the firmware should

• Enable the CSM for VGA support, though not BIOS mode emulation.
• Enable messages during the POST process to show which keys open the boot menus.

In other words, Windows 7 still requires a "Compatibility Support Module" for video functions in its "hybrid" uefi mode.

On macs, it is all or none: CSM is provided for video and everything else if you boot legacy BIOS emulation via bootcamp and a hybrid mbr disk. If you boot in pure (u)efi mode from a pure GPT formatted disk, no CSM is provided and hence Windows 7 uefi install hangs. Windows 8 is OK since it uses GOP for video instead of int10.

On PCs such as Lenovo X1 Carbon described in this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Serie...install-without-CSM-mode-possible/td-p/911353
there is an intermediate (u)efi mode with CSM provided for video only. This allows installation of Windows 7 in (u)efi mode.

The DaGr8Gatzby in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/696523/ described how he installed Windows 7 in efi on his Mac Pro. Note he had to go to great lengths to make it work including manually going into the efi shell and initializing PCI registers for VGA.....Windows 8 is much easier to install via (u)efi on a mac.

Last edited:

ravic

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Just got it installed using the instructions below. Works like a champ.
Thanks OP.

Okay, just do a normal bootcamp setup. (Setting up Windows Setup flash drive, downloading support software & partitioning etc)
Then when you reboot to get into Windows Setup,
You know the part where you hold Option + Power...
Don't boot into the WININSTALL partition
Boot into the EFI_BOOT partition.
Windows will install with no problems.
Then when you install successfully, just install the Bootcamp Support Software.

Note I'm installing Windows 8, not Windows 7. It might be different with Windows 7.
Windows 8 has a much better vast support of EFI Boot.

Done. :D
In other words, it's a normal bootcamp setup just bootcamp now works in EFI.

Even if you want to boot into the WININSTALL partition (BIOS mode), you will be stuck at the Windows Setup format part due to incompatibility reasons.
The MB Air 2013 can only boot into EFI Windows and that's the way I like it. :D

garegin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
technically speaking, this is Windows's fault for not supporting older EFI firmware's. Linux and GRUB can boot even from 32 bit EFI Core Duos! I guess they figured that Mac users can get by using BIOS emulation.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
technically speaking, this is Windows's fault for not supporting older EFI firmware's. Linux and GRUB can boot even from 32 bit EFI Core Duos! I guess they figured that Mac users can get by using BIOS emulation.

We can. I still haven't figured out what the EFI booting advantage is anyway. The new MBAs boot crazy fast to begin with, so if this whole exercise is to shave a few seconds of an already fast boot, and no other advantage, then it seems rather pointless.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
We can. I still haven't figured out what the EFI booting advantage is anyway. The new MBAs boot crazy fast to begin with, so if this whole exercise is to shave a few seconds of an already fast boot, and no other advantage, then it seems rather pointless.

So AHCI mode works with Win8 when booting in BIOS mode on the new Airs? IIRC it didn't work with even Linux without EFI booting.

dharmaone

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
I've got a 2013 macbook air and I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise review.

I've managed to install it via bootcamp on my SSD, but I would like to remove that and install Windows To Go on an external usb3 flash drive instead.

Can anyone explain the steps needed to do that?

Thanks!

Verix

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I've got a 2013 macbook air and I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Enterprise review.

I've managed to install it via bootcamp on my SSD, but I would like to remove that and install Windows To Go on an external usb3 flash drive instead.

Can anyone explain the steps needed to do that?

Thanks!

You'll have to reinstall your computer, since the windows partition can't easily just "be removed" like that. Safer to just install OSX fresh if you want the windows gone.

ELYEN01

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Yes, the MacBook Air 2013 supports booting Windows via EFI natively.
I used official Bootcamp drivers with no mods whatsoever.
Everything is working flawlessly.

It seems the bootloader in the MBA 2013 is finally UEFI 2.0 compliant.
The entire stock partition layout of the SSD is GPT meaning BIOS-mode Windows will not work.

I get 10 seconds of Windows 8 bootup. Enough said.
I seem to be getting 8 hours of usage in light use. Not bad.
There seems to be graphic corruption in IE11 in Windows 8.1 with the current Intel drivers.
Make no mistake IE11 is the better browser on Windows. Seriously better than Chrome.

I only tested on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
I did not test Windows 7 and have no plans to since I've embraced the metro interface.

I recommend using Trackpad++ to have a better trackpad experience in Windows. I mean seriously Apple? Where is the Windows 8 gestures and especially pinch-to-zoom?

Update: Windows to Go (ala Windows on external drive) also works on EFI

Do you have the 11" or the 13" model ?

rettungsplan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Guys - very nice discussion! Thanks for the share.

Can anybody of the guys succeded in the EFI-boot let me know what the result of the following statement would be:

gpt -r show disk0

Replace 0 for whatevery your regarding disk # would be. I would very much apprechiate!!!

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Reasen

Hi, this is more than likely because your USB stick is formatted in NTFS rather than FAT32. If you create it using the MS Windows 7 tool it formats it as NTFS and EFI on mac or PC can't read it. Copy the info off the stick, format it as fat32 then do a copy of all files (hidden etc) back onto it. Will work then. Had the same problem.

The Reason why Win 7 Tool makes it to NTFS is that the files are to big to be written on a fat32. Just tried it, and could'nt copy "install.wim" back on the USB because it was to big.

Is there any other simple way to do this EFI windows install?

I only get OS, Recovery and WININSTALL at bootup and i have the EFI folder on the bootable USB.

I think many would be veery grateful if someone postet a video on youtube on how to do install windows 8 by EFI - step by step. including formating USB :)

fusion71

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
The Reason why Win 7 Tool makes it to NTFS is that the files are to big to be written on a fat32. Just tried it, and could'nt copy "install.wim" back on the USB because it was to big.

Is there any other simple way to do this EFI windows install?

I only get OS, Recovery and WININSTALL at bootup and i have the EFI folder on the bootable USB.

I think many would be veery grateful if someone postet a video on youtube on how to do install windows 8 by EFI - step by step. including formating USB :)

Windows 8 "install.wim" in the "Sources" folder (from a retail DVD/iso) should be 2,931,325 KB or 2.79 GB in size, so it should still fit in a FAT32 formatted USB of 4 GB or greater.

I used this guide http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html to create a uefi bootable Windows 8 USB. Follow the instructions under Option Two to "Manually Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.