Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
i wish they would just fuse the lcd with the front glass panel like they did with the retina models. everytime i clean the lcd i always get lint stuck in between the seam.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
as for the size of the design, that can wait. only when competitors manage to make an ultrabook thinner than the macbook air with the same power then thats when size and portability will be an issue that needs to raised inside apple IMO.

For the keyboard: no, don't change the size of it to be smaller or even benefit it to make it bigger. like the size and portability, it currently should not be a necessity for apple. The bezel shouldn't be changed either.

The only thing i am all for here is the power and capacity of 2013's macbook air. I would like to see haswell in it as much as everyone else, for its graphics processing power and the battery life intel plans for it. As well as that, i would like to see a 768GB SSD, so gone will the external drives be for macbook airs today! :D

Talking of storage, i seriously think apple should reconsider the storage size of their base 11" macbook air. 64Gb is too small for anything on a computer these days :rolleyes:

even better: i would like to see a 15" screen in the lineup. Yes, i know, apple already have 15" macbook pros; but the same could easily be said about 13" macbook pros and 13" macbook airs. I would like to see this because some people like screen real estate and the portability. Some other computer manufacturers out there have already managed to pull this off, why cant apple?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
as for the size of the design, that can wait. only when competitors manage to make an ultrabook thinner than the macbook air with the same power then thats when size and portability will be an issue that needs to raised inside apple IMO.

You have seen the new Samsung ultra book?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
only when competitors manage to make an ultrabook thinner than the macbook air with the same power then thats when size and portability will be an issue that needs to raised inside apple IMO.

The 11" MBA is still smaller

You are wrong. Sure compare a 11'' to a 13''. Real smart there. You know, the whole apples vs. oranges thing. The Samsung Series 9 is lighter and thinner 13'' vs 13''.

Samsung: 1.15 kg maximum thickness: 12.9mm
MBA: 1.35kg maximum thickness: 17mm

The Samsung series 9 will soon have a better than retinal display .

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
You are wrong. Sure compare a 11'' to a 13''. Real smart there. You know, the whole apples vs. oranges thing. The Samsung Series 9 is lighter and thinner 13'' vs 13''.

Man, if I had that screen on an MBA I would die happy.
Unfortunately Windows 8, shallow keyboard, subpar trackpad are too much of a cost to get it.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Man, if I had that screen on an MBA I would die happy.
Unfortunately Windows 8, shallow keyboard, subpar trackpad are too much of a cost to get it.

I agree. However I was just pointing out that Apple has competition from others in regards to weight and thickness.

Note: before anyone flames away I realize that the Samsung doesn't match the Apple RD in terms of resolution however I think the matte screen blows the glass/mirror screen of Apple away. Just wish Apple would bring the matte screens back.

LiveinRiot

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Retina Display in MBA? Not yet

I believe that Apple will not make the new MBA have retina display.

The reasons are simply factors in prices, and to know that there will come something really good, 1440p is cool, but by far not Retina Display, even the RMBP are "true retina."

For now there is no integrated graphics that do the job effectively retina for the price charged. Take the example of RMBP: dual-core more integrated video card for $1800 is a joke.

Demand for ultrabooks is geared for a notebook that will last the "all day" (intel's advertising tired of saying that) because you will take you anywhere, as you do with an iPad or iPhone, then I think the major focus now is not Apple put a "notebook with high resolution" but a "notebook that lasts all day", with a battery life of 10 ~ 12h internet with 4G enabled and extremely thin and light. Remember until the iPad is suffering to get to 330 ppi, imagine notebooks.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
You have seen the new Samsung ultra book?

That's exactly what I have been saying. It has the same Intel HD 4000 with similar CPU power 1.7 GHz and turbo , is .51" thick uniformly while the MBA is .68" at its thickest and is 2.55 lbs. (MBA is 2.96 lbs.) along with a 1600x900 resolution while MBA has 1440x900. Apple is fine for now, but needs to introduce a really "all-out" souped up MBA for 2013 (even if there is a premium pricetag).

Now, I am not saying people only look at specs, many and probably most do look at OS, but that does not mean there isn't a small number who look for the lightest, smallest, and powerful like the Samsung.

This is to hoping the 2013 MBA will get a retina display in 2013 - it probably will I'm sure Apple can do something about the battery life with Haswell, OS tweaks, internal redesign for better management, etc. because I really admire the MBA, and at the same time hopefully at least make it lighter if not thinner

----------

And this is probably one of the greatest evidence that a 2013 rMBA will be introduced. Apple will probably go to all ends to correct the battery issue, and will probably make it possible to have a perfectly working rMBA with sufficient battery life.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Retina on the air would be my dream laptop

Yeah, definitely. I think, for me, it would actually be one of the those notebooks to keep for a longer than average time for a notebook. Retina. Check. Power (for the average 'sumer). Check. Light. Check. Thin. Check.

Check.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
i wish they would just fuse the lcd with the front glass panel like they did with the retina models. everytime i clean the lcd i always get lint stuck in between the seam.

Honestly this is the only thing I didn't like about the MBA

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, definitely. I think, for me, it would actually be one of the those notebooks to keep for a longer than average time for a notebook. Retina. Check. Power (for the average 'sumer). Check. Light. Check. Thin. Check.

Check.

all I do on my laptop is just safari, itunes, spotify, and Word. Give me all that on with retina res and the ultra light and thin form of the air with an SSD and I'm good to go for 5 years

I have my monster 27" iMac shipping in a few weeks so I got all the power I need at home

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
That's exactly what I have been saying. It has the same Intel HD 4000 with similar CPU power 1.7 GHz and turbo , is .51" thick uniformly while the MBA is .68" at its thickest and is 2.55 lbs. (MBA is 2.96 lbs.) along with a 1600x900 resolution while MBA has 1440x900. Apple is fine for now, but needs to introduce a really "all-out" souped up MBA for 2013 (even if there is a premium pricetag).

Now, I am not saying people only look at specs, many and probably most do look at OS, but that does not mean there isn't a small number who look for the lightest, smallest, and powerful like the Samsung.

This is to hoping the 2013 MBA will get a retina display in 2013 - it probably will I'm sure Apple can do something about the battery life with Haswell, OS tweaks, internal redesign for better management, etc. because I really admire the MBA, and at the same time hopefully at least make it lighter if not thinner

----------

And this is probably one of the greatest evidence that a 2013 rMBA will be introduced. Apple will probably go to all ends to correct the battery issue, and will probably make it possible to have a perfectly working rMBA with sufficient battery life.

I agree. Especially in light of Apple making things thinner for 2013 i.e. light guide plate. Make the MBA thinner or have the ability to put in more battery space.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...ponents-for-2013-macbook-air-and-macbook-pro/

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
I think Haswell is a given. A retina screen I think is a bit far fetched, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple released the new Air the moment Intel announces availability to it's partners, if they can speed up their release it means we could have new Air near the end of Q1 next year and then one at the beginning of Q1 '14 with a retina display.

I think the only thing that it 'needs' - subjective I know - is an IPS display and it will do fine till the last quarter of '13.

On a separate note about an external GPU, if Apple could stick their top tier iMac GPU into thunderbolt displays from now on I think they would make a lot of power hungry a but mobile people very happy, it'd probably mean I'd never go above a 13' Air ever again, but that's probably why they wouldn't do it.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North

How on earth was what I said wrong?? It was statement of fact, an 11" is smaller than a 13"...i'd like to see proof to the contrary if you think you can?

mangotears

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
I agree with everyone on the IPS screen + Haswell.

I own the 2011 version, and most the things I wanted (except the ips screen) were introduced in the 2012 version. (usb3, sdxc, hd webcam, better graphics performance)

It would be nice to have a retina screen, but I don't think it would make sense.

I don't see them ever putting a dedicated gpu in a MBA, and if they were to put a retina screen in at this point, I think it will take a hit on performance/battery. Not only that, it would have a higher resolution than the MBP unless they dropped the real-estate down to 1280x800 (and I really like having the extra 1440x900 working space on my mba)

Last edited:

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
2013: no new design, haswell, maybe IPS panel but no resolution change.

2014: broadwell, new fanless chassis design, possibly with a thinner lighter body.

guessing!

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
How on earth was what I said wrong?? It was statement of fact, an 11" is smaller than a 13"...i'd like to see proof to the contrary if you think you can?

My iPad mini is smaller than the 11in MBA. What is your point?

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
My iPad mini is smaller than the 11in MBA. What is your point?

Er...I thought that was obvious given my comment was all of 6 words long and mainly consisted of single syllable words, but let me put it into pictures for you, it might help...

This...

macbook-air-11-inch-late-2010-2ed3-460.jpg

Is smaller than this...

3_44.jpg

That is fact, you told me I was wrong, i'm telling you that i'm not, comprende?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Er...I thought that was obvious given my comment was all of 6 words long and mainly consisted of single syllable words, but let me put it into pictures for you, it might help...

This...

Is smaller than this...

That is fact, you told me I was wrong, i'm telling you that i'm not, comprende?

13in Samsung is smaller than 13in MBA. Not sure why you are talking about different size laptops that aren't even competing against each other.

The poster I replied to said Apple was still the leader on weight and thickness and they didn't have to worry yet. I pointed out that the Samsung is thinner and lighter than the MBA. If Samsung made an 11in if would be thinner and lighter than the 11in MBA.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
13in Samsung is smaller than 13in MBA. Not sure why you are talking about different size laptops that aren't even competing against each other.

The poster I replied to said Apple was still the leader on weight and thickness and they didn't have to worry yet. I pointed out that the Samsung is thinner and lighter than the MBA. If Samsung made an 11in if would be thinner and lighter than the 11in MBA.

I think you were the only one comparing anything to a Samsung, nobody else on this thread made any mention of it until you came along.

I made a statement of fact, you said i'm wrong, and i'm not, I said prove it and you can't, you just keep wittering on like an old lady.

You're boring me now and probably everybody else for that matter.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I think you were the only one comparing anything to a Samsung, nobody else on this thread made any mention of it until you came along.

I made a statement of fact, you said i'm wrong, and i'm not, I said prove it and you can't, you just keep wittering on like an old lady.

You're boring me now and probably everybody else for that matter.

And a 9in Asus netbook is smaller than a 11in MBA. For the same size, the Samsung is now lighter and thinner than the MBA. Apple has fallen behind and needs to catch up.

pauska

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Everbody here seems confident that the MBA won't be able to provide enough juice to support a retina resolution. Are nobody here aware of the HD5000 introduced with Haswell?

Or is everyone certain that the MBA will get the tuned down version of Haswell who still has HD4000?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.