Macbook Air Backpacks

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shuffles, Feb 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

shuffles

2. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Are you sure a backpack is the way to go? Don't you want something with a little more cushioning?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

My mate has a backpack like that n it comes with a laptop sleeve as well n a compartment specially for the laptop itself....only problem is he got in New York!!! Do u know of any bags at all that look kinda like that for laptops???

Shuffles

4. macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

North Face?

I bought this (in black) pack from the North Face for my 17". The main compartment works well for larger notebooks, but there is a special notebook only compartment that will fit the Air perfectly. It has lots of padding too for great protection. Build quality is fantastic (as always with North Face). Lots of pockets for accessories too.

5. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Be careful. MacBook Air's thinness will act against it when choosing a carrying case such as a backpack because often they will be designed for much thicker notebooks.

I found this when I went from an iBook G4 to a MacBook. The compartment which fitted my 14" iBook isn't so snug with my MacBook. I think you'd need a specifically made one for MacBook Air otherwise you're completely defeating the purpose of having a notebook backpack.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Do u know if any specially made bags are out yet for the Air??

7. macrumors member

southcounty949

North Face ...

I love North Face. A lot of my gear is North Face so I know the quality. Do you think though, that the MBA will be "snug" in the laptop compartment? Regardless, I'm going to get a sleeve for my MBA, once I get one.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

SouthCounty,

Know of any good sleeves for the Air as well?

9. macrumors newbie

I am also on the lookout for a good sleeve, the one I use right now for my 12" Acer would look really bad next to the MBA, I am thinking about getting the Manilla envelope sleeve, http://www.manilamac.com/

10. macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I plan on using my North Face Surge bag for my MBA (that is, if it ever arrives). It should fit quite nicely in the notebook compartment.

I usually end up getting a neoprene sleeve too, for those times where I have to travel with a different bag.

11. macrumors 6502a

12. macrumors regular

One of the best looking sleeves i've seen so far (I checked all MBA sleeves)

http://www.booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.65/.f?sc=13&category=-113

I wanna get one myself, but here is the small problem..

they say it fits the MBA and the MB, both got same length & width but not same height.. so i think there will be some empty space above it, wont be tight fit!

Or what do u think?

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I use the Dakine Campus. It has a pocket for your laptop and it works great. Really sturdy backpack, though I do with it had water proof zippers.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Im thinkin gof getting the Surge too. Was looking at it earlier but ive one question about it....how big is the bag? im trying to picture it in my head. I hope its more like a normal backpack n not a rucksack or somethin that big

16. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

17. macrumors newbie

Anyone get the North Face Surge who has the macbook air? How is it working out for you and can you post pictures, :)

Also, how about the oakley flak?

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Have the full invisible shield on my Air, in its ManilaMac case, and floating around daily in my Brenthaven shoulder bag. Perfect protection at its highest, and living in the New York City area, and commuting to Manhattan on a daily basis.

20. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

21. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm really concerned...

with my MBA going in a backpack. From experience, I've noticed that placing my MBA in a backpack with 3-4 textbooks puts undue pressure on my MBA. I had the same problem with my MB, and noticed minute scratches on the screen that lined up with the spacebar, and also "the impression of two rows of keys and the spacebar" on my now smudged screen. To prevent this I decided to go with a Higher Ground "LapTrap" 13" backpack (also comes with a shoulder strap) that is specifically designed to house my MBA or BlackBook, by itself and maybe the magsafe charger, my iPhone cable, the cord for MBA/BlackBook, and that's about it. I'm taking every possible precaution to ensure that I'm not going to scratch my screen! IMHO! :cool:

22. macrumors member

23. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I've gone to using that fancy black Apple cloth they so generously provided laid across trackpad, spacebar and middle keys to prevent just that.

24. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll give it a shot...

as well. Thanks. :cool:

25. macrumors newbie

any new ideas? something padded!