Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yordanov1990

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Hello,

First of all, I would like to say that I am student, ordinary user of Macbook, not involved in any professional activities with my notebook.
I am about to purchase the new Macbook Air 256, 2.0 i7, 8GB ram. I am looking for an opinion whether I would use these 8GB since macbook air has only one fan, and even I do something burdensome and use these 8GB, the fan would not be able to cool off the notebook. Should I buy the 8GB or they are useless. Thank you in advance for the advice.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Buy the 8GB RAM and don't worry about the fan. Apple has some experience building laptops and I am confident their cooling solution works. :cool:

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Apple designed the MBA to operate with 8 gigs of memory, plus it's not the memory that creates the heat, it's the CPU.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Apple designed the MBA to operate with 8 gigs of memory, plus it's not the memory that creates the heat, it's the CPU.

The RAM does actually create heat, and its not a trivial amount; theres a reason the majority of DDR3 DIMM's have built-in heat spreaders. That said, 4 GB vs. 8 GB isn't going to have any effect or probably even any indication of warmer temps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.