MacBook Air carrying case/bag

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JackSYi, Jan 23, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I ordered a MacBook Air and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on bags for it. The main question is: will cases designed for the original 13-inch macbook work with the air?

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 65816

ob81

Yeah, just get a bag that is normally for the macbook. That is the best bet considering that you may have to slap that external in there one day.

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 68040

Neil321

you taking the p*ss:D

6. macrumors 6502a

desenso

7. macrumors newbie

I know waterfield is already shipping the sleevecase in a new size (13-2) that is made to fit the MBA snugly. I have never had a case like this but I have heard numerous great things about their quality and durability. I ordered a vertical loading one with a flap. Will post pics upon its arrival.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleevecases/sleevecases.htm

8. macrumors 6502a

Im hoping it fits in my Hermes 38cm briefcase.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up buying the Brenthaven ProLite I for the MacBook. Hopefully it is snug enough to protect it. Anybody have experience with this bag? I am hoping that it is a small and light bag.

10. macrumors 68030

Piarco

Belkin have just announced a range, but no availability as yet...

Belkin Macbook Air Case Range

I'd like to see Huzzak bring out a case, I loved the one for my MBP. I'll get something either way in time for my Air arriving...

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great. Thanks for that.

12. macrumors newbie

I have Waterfield slip cases for all the laptops I have owned in the last 3 years (large enough number to be embarrassing) and I love them. Well made, good fit and you can you can accessorizes them with shoulder straps and such. The Waterfield line of bags and briefs is worth a look too, as is their smaller bags for iPods and all the other small expensive crap we tend to buy.....

13. macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

This fine vestibule has the added benefit of allowing your MBA to be carried incognito, thereby avoiding the mugging that will inevitably incur if you go into any built-up area now carrying an inter-office memo envelope.

Attached Files:

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tom Bihn, who makes great cases that are designed to complement existing bags are also shipping MacBook Air cases.

I have the vertical brain for the MBP and use it for my North Face backpack. They're great.

http://www.tombihn.com/

15. macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

How about a light one? Some of these bags are 5 lbs empty. What is the point of having a bag that weighs more than your computer????:confused:

16. macrumors 6502a

Well I guess if it weighs more than 5lbs it better carry more than just the MacBook Air. My Hermes attache is going to love the MacBook Air and weighs a bit, but its meant to hold more than just a laptop. Can squeeze in a bit more! Now I know what you mean about cases just for the MacBook Air. I don't know if I'd want one of those. I think I'd rather carry it naked if I wasn't carrying the attache.

17. macrumors newbie

Just received my Waterfield Sleevecase

I must say I am impressed with the quality. [​IMG]

Check out the rest of my set for more. http://www.flickr.com/photos/hyrup/sets/72157603801424617/

Initial impressions:

-Very sturdy feeling
    -Nice velcro
    -Love the flap
    -Fits great in my Nike bag
    -ibook does not even begin to fit

overall I give it :apple::apple::apple::apple: /5

18. macrumors newbie

Brenthaven

Brenthaven seems to have reliable cases. It also supports the environment and your body. http://www.BrentHaven.com :apple:

19. macrumors member

I love that Manila folder notebook sleve for the Air. Really cool idea, not sure if will last though. For $30 you might aswell get a proper leather/neoprene folder.

20. macrumors member

i ordered a manila airmail one just for kicks,

and a waterfield horizontal sleevecase with flap for the real deal. should be getting it today.

21. macrumors newbie

I'm a noob, glad I found this site!
    I just spoke to the guys at booq and they said they'd have a dedicated hard sleeve for the MBA mid-April. I've used them for my previous powerbooks and I like how you can use the computer while it's in the case. Now I'm on the lookout for a new sling-bag to replace my REI one.

[​IMG]

22. macrumors member

23. macrumors member

STM Small Evolution

I picked up a Small Evolution from STM. It's a little large, but is snug enough and a pretty good bag overall. I give it up a thumbs up, although of course if you already have a backpack and what you need is a sleeve, it's not going to solve that problem.

24. macrumors member

thehuhman

This is the one I got for mine. I love it!:D

25. macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I just bought this off eBay:

[​IMG]

I've read good things about them, but didn't find that color on their website. It looks pretty good.

I'm replacing this:

[​IMG]

I'm selling the BuiltNY bag, if anyone is interested.