MacBook Air colour calibration profiles thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kabunaru, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Guest

Please use this thread to post your MacBook Air colour calibration profiles. I am sure a lot of people would like to try some profiles on their MacBook Airs'.:)

2. macrumors member

One of the hardest calibrations I have done. I think it's because of the glossy screen, which varies greatly as you move your head up and down.

Don't know how to post results unless I re-run the calibration.

3. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Post the file

4. macrumors member

(please)

5. thread starter Guest

To upload the profile, choose Manage Attachments (little further down from Submit Reply), press Choose File and then press Upload.:)

6. macrumors 6502a

please and thank you =)

7. macrumors member

What I meant was, I don't know how to get the calibration results to show up unless I re-run the calibration. Is there any way to see my color calibration file? Where is it in Leopard?

8. thread starter Guest

Try going to Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and see what's in there.

9. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Please ,thank you, be nice to me I am in shipping H3LL...........

11. macrumors member

Sorry, guys. I looked in Macintosh HD/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and saw my file in there, but when I opened it in TextEdit it was just jibberish. I need more guidance. BTW, why is this information so important to you?

12. cls
    macrumors newbie

Good calibration requires a colorimeter or spectrofotometer

Hi guys,

Getting a decent color profile requires using specialized hardware, such as the gretagmacbeth eyeOne display or Spyder 2. Typically laptops don't provide very good screens, at least not for professional use.

I have an i1 display, and will happily post a calibrated profile when I get my Air, hopefully before the 15th...

If anyone can provide a hardware calibrated display profile, as well as some information on how good the display is (deltas), I would love to read it!

Greetings from Finland!

Casper.

13. macrumors member

I did my calibration by eye, and hence it obviously is subject to my personal preferences. I did notice that I had to adjust the gamma to its max level because the MBA seems to have hard time producing good blacks at the standard settings.

14. macrumors member

I'll post a ColorEyes Display Pro & xRite DTP-94 generated profile once I receive the MBA, but its a few weeks away.

15. macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have all the profiles from my led macbook pro. Would they work?

16. thread starter Guest

Since both (MacBook Pro and MacBook Air) have a LED display, it would be a worth a try.

17. macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Ok I tried it and it seemed to work fine

18. macrumors 6502

Has anyone professionally calibrated the MBA yet?

19. macrumors member

I was all set to do mine (ColorEyes Pro and XRITE DTP-94, which work great on the MacPro & ACD), only to discover the USB cable profile means it won't plug in to the MBA. I'll have to find a slimline usb-hub before attempting calibration.

20. PDE
    macrumors 68020

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with....

21. macrumors regular

I am interested this as well.

I did go thru some calibration already because my air screen had a yellow tinge to it (when compared to an LED macbook pro).

Not sure if others had the same subjective feeling as I did.

-alf

22. macrumors member

I finally got around to doing the hardware calibration, I've tried to attach the file here (first time attacher alert).
    1. Unzip the attachment to Library/ColorSync/Profiles
    2. Select the new profile '20080216' in System Preferences > Displays > Color
    It is safe to do this, you won't overwrite anything and can easily go back to system default with a click of the button at any time. It's also easy to compare the effect while you have a photo onscreen. It's best to do this inside photoshop, which is much more color profile aware than say a web browser. We're not talking about making nice web pics here, but accurate rendition for repro.

Profile made with ColorEyes Display Pro and xrite dtp 24 colorimeter. It's good software with a demo available, I'd recommend it if color accuracy is important to you. At $300+ including hardware it isn't cheap but has saved me a lot of time in not having to mess with reprints. (I'm not affiliated in any way, I'm just a customer). Profile made with screen at maximum brightness. I may try again at 12/16 brightness. Profiled at D65 white point and L* colorspace (Lab based but software proprietary). I have to try profiling under various light sources and environments and then choose appropriately.

Personally, I find the difference excellent. Much better contrast. The washed out yellows gone, and more vibrant blues and reds. It better matches my 23" ACD which matches my prints (I'm a photographer). Interestingly, for B&W the difference is even more pronounced. The default profile was squelching blacks and pushing whites, there is a much more gradual range now, with details coming back from my blacks and highlights.

note: each and every manufactured display is slightly different, and changes over time. The only real way to accurately profile your display is to do it yourself, and do it regularly.

I'd be interested in any feedback others have.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors member

My profile reported
    Maximum DeltaE: 0.61
    Average DeltaE: 0.33
    which, if true, is pretty crazy for a notebook. I saw on macrumors someone with a recent MBP17 got 0.40.

24. macrumors regular

tofupancake, I'm now using your color prolife and it looks way better than the default one. The contrast is much better. Thanks!

25. macrumors member

instant hit

tofupancake, i think you hit it on the money! i was satisfied with the out-of-box settings, but this really makes it much easier on the eyes. i'm no longer blinded at max brightness while trying to read text on a white background -- basically the difference is night and day. overall, there is more definition than before.

thanks again!