MacBook Air Domain Names

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Less than 24 hours to the Macworld Expo Keynote, and speculation runs rampant. MacDailyNews reports that a number of additional "MacBookAir" domains have been registered, apparently by Apple.

MacBookAir.net, MacBookAir.org, MacBookAir.us, MacBookAir.info, MacBookAir.biz have been registered by corporate registrar MarkMonitor. Most of the registration information is obscured, but the billing information for several of the domains is attributed to John Donald who carries an apple.com email address. Typically, this information can be faked, but the registration also shares an internal billing ID (MKN-14211616) which is indeed Apple's (based on other domains).

The evidence isn't conclusive, however, as MarkMonitor provides some automated trademark protection services to corporations:
    So the MacBookAir domain registrations may have been triggerd by the MacBookAir.com domain registration - which was not registered by Apple.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502

simontarr

Sounds like this rumor is likely to become fact tomorrow!

Just as well- I would find an ultra-portable ultra-useful for work.

3. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

this is such a cool rumour. lighter than air. mmmm. hope its tiny!

4. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

5. macrumors P6

Peace

6. macrumors 601

Phil A.

There is absolutely no way Apple would run around registering these MacBookAir.* domains but let the .com one get away.
    Sounds to me like the rumors have driven the registrations with someone trying to strike it lucky with a domain (just like macbookpro.com)

7. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, this hype is getting insane. Let's see what happens tomorrow!

8. macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... Being new to Apple, maybe I'm off, but having worked in sw during the whole internet era, most all companies grab these domain names long before they launch to market (it's too risky to wait -- if a squatter grabs your domain, ur hosed or paying big $$$, or suing, which can still cost big $$$)

It would be interesting to hear WHEN these domains were registered. If yesterday, than it's bull. If 2-4 months ago, that's more likely.

Edit: Tom B, Peace and Phil A I think sum it up, anyway

9. macrumors member

What about a computer marketed to the HUGE population of people that don't want to carry an extra bag for their laptop. Something that would fit in a purse or handbag?

10. macrumors newbie

don't like the name? don't be a hater...

I think it's really funny how some people are so up in arms over the not-yet-confirmed name MacBookAir. As if they wouldn't buy based on that alone.

If the product is real, it hardly matters what the name is. The marketing guys at Apple are the masters of branding, and before you know it "Air" will be THE term in the popular vernacular used to describe an ultra-light computer.

As far as the domain names and squatters, if Apple has trademarked the name, then the squatters are SOL. Apple will get the domain names that it wants, whenever it wants.

11. macrumors 6502

Honestly, I don't understand why alot of people would get excited about a smaller notebook. Just seems silly. The 15.4" screen one is already very portable.

Kind of the same thought process as watching moives or tv on a small 3.5" screen. Why not watch at home on your 50" ? Guess its good if you travel alot but this is getting ridiculous.

Even when I used my brother's iTouch to web browse, I found it annoying on such a small screen. Don't get me wrong, its neat to have access to the web in your hand and depending on your profession, i'm sure alot of people can really justify buying one.

I personally think a 13" Air Slim Notebook or whatever they want to call it, is a waste with the 15" already there. Guess I would much prefer a mid-tower instead (Mac Pro Jr. lol).

12. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Disagree.

Apple registering a domain means a lot more than NOT registering a domain name.

arn

13. macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but it appears they were created Jan. 11, 08 :rolleyes:

14. macrumors Core

it is interesting, but i do think it proves nothing at this point.

15. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

If Apple did indeed purchase these domains, and its just a rumor cover up; stock holders take notice.

16. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

I can't imagine that Apple would seriously go for a product called "MacBookAir". Think of all the confusion that would be caused on this board alone due to a product we'd all be calling an "MBA". Of course, it would go well with the iPod High Definition.

17. macrumors regular

So we are less than 24 hours till the keynote and everything is up in the air. People seem to be leaning towards a new notebook, but the details are all over the place. The only other thing people are really grabbing onto is some change to AppleTV... hardware and/or software (rentals etc). That could be enough to make me dump cable. I feel like the day is coming, but i am not sure we are there yet. Blame the inconsistent broadband in the USA, but delivering that much content here may not be ready for everyone.

Considering Apple revised the Mac Pros (as minor as it was) last week, that makes me think they have other things to spend the keynote on and are not looking for filler. The release of Mac Pros without Blu-Ray drives also seems like an indication that nothing will get them anytime soon. I guess it's possible a Mac Mini/AppleTV would get one first for media center reasons, but who knows. Nothing groundbreaking there anyway. Everyone knows what BluRay does so there is no reason to waste keynote time on it.

Last year was almost all iPhone, and even if they announce an impending iPhone 2.0 (which is obviously coming *some* day), i don't see it taking a whole keynote to talk about. I am going to lean towards thinking Apple has something they want to spend a lot of time on.

18. macrumors P6

Peace

You may be right but I'm not going to be convinced until I see this MacbookAir which imho is a downright bad name.

19. macrumors P6

twoodcc

so macbook air it will be then? less than 22 hours to find out!

20. macrumors 6502a

i think its a good name! you come up with something better?

21. macrumors P6

Peace

Yes..

The Maclitebook
    The Macbook Lite
    The Macbook Light
    The Macbook thin

etc..

22. macrumors newbie

In less than 24 hours we'll know for sure...

But just to be safe, let's keep Jessica Simpson away from tomorrow's keynote.

23. macrumors P6

Peace

:D

hehe

poor Dallas..

sorry I was off-topic.

24. macrumors 6502

I hate "MacBook" and yet I own one. I don't think anyone on this forum is so crackers that they'd buy or not buy a product based on its name, urban legends about Chevy Novas aside. Many people believe that AirBook would sound better, for instance. I agree.

It's an aesthetic judgment, which people are free to make -- and will make -- regardless of your disdain. Surely you do the same thing... you listen to a song and say "that's fantastic!" or "that sucks." You watch a movie and compare it to other movies you've seen.

You're presenting a pragmatic argument here, of a species known as Pragmaticus fanboie: that trust in Apple, and they will pwn all and be uber alles and so forth, resistance is futile, etc. It does not contradict the aesthetic judgment of the name, but instead says "it doesn't matter if it's ugly or not. It'll sell." No one on this board doubts that this thing will sell like mad. What we're saying is that the name sucks, in our opinion.

25. macrumors 604

gkarris

Apple just updated their homepage!!! :eek:

(breathe, breathe, must remember to breathe.... goes and hides credit cards...)