I'm looking at buying a macbook air, with the following use case: 90% of the time, the computer will be used for simple text processing, itunes and safari. So far, so good. However, the other 10% of the time, the air would be used, like a field recorder, to run garageband, with a specific goal of recording 1 or 2 xlr microphones into 1 or 2 channels at 44.1 quality audio through a usb 2.0 interface. It needs to record reliably for at least 1 hour (no glitches, noises or stutters). Garageband does NOT have to (though it'd be nice) play other audio/synth/effects back (monitoring) while recording the audio input. In essence, I'd be using the air as a field recorder, using the high quality preamp usb 2.0 interface I already have. If an air CAN'T do reliable audio capture, I'll just stick with the 2011 refurb for my 90% use case and get a field recorder (though I really don't want to do that because I'm convinced my usb interface has quieter preamps for the stuff I do. I'd not only have to use a field recorder but also an additional quiet mixer). If an air CAN do reliable audio capture, then I'd probably go up to a 2012 i5 (for the faster external usb 3 storage) or even i5 with 256 - which are much more expensive airs - so, I'm hoping someone might have experience doing recording in a similar way and could advise me so I don't waste the extra money if it can't record reliably. I really do want a single unit though and not a field recorder. I'd even be tempted to go with a macbook pro retina if the air would even have the slightest hint of trouble doing the audio recording. Thanks in advance for your response.