Macbook air for work or Macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jdl8422, Feb 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I have been in the market for a new laptop. I was looking at the 15" macbook pro. I will be using it for graphic design work and some web work, but mostly print. I need it to work at home and to take to the office. I do not like using the small screen unless I have to, so my plan is to buy a monitor. My question is: is the macbook air worth it for this use or should I just stick with the macbook pro. I do not need it to be "ultra protable" since I am just going from home to work. The main reason I would want the macbook air is for the "new" factor and the "wow" factor. Any advice?

2. macrumors regular

MacBook Pro. The disk is just too slow on the MBA for graphic use. Go with the bigger screen in lieu of the lighter machine.

I love the idea of the MacBook Air, so don't think I'm one of the many "haters", I just think a MBP would be best for you.

3. macrumors 6502

The 'new' and 'wow' factor will get old pretty fast. Sounds to me like you would be better off with the MBP. The only reason I can think of to buy the MBA over the MBP would be if portability is your number one priority...

Regards,

C

4. macrumors 68020

What will you do once the new and wow factors wear off and the computer can't be returned?

5. macrumors 6502

Go with the MacBook Pro. Perfect if portability is not a #1 issue (although the MBP is still relatively compact and light given the specs and capabilities).

The 15-inch MacBook Pro is still the sweet spot of the Apple computer line, IMO.

6. macrumors 6502

I have a new MacBook Air (1.8 SSD) and there is no question that it comes with a lot of WOW. It sounds to me, however, that your laptop is going to be a desktop replacement, which the MacBook Air is NOT.

If portability is not a major issue, maybe even the biggest issue, go for the MacBook Pro. So much more computer for the money.

I have a MacPro on my desk to do all the "heavy lifting". My Air is only for taking on the road. I use it for Excel, Word, Safari, PowerPoint/Keynote. and occasionally iPhoto. I absolutely love it, but in terms of processor power it is no MBP!

7. macrumors 6502

robrose20

If you are doing graphics work I would recommend the MBP. The MBA would not be a good choice.

8. macrumors newbie

In my opinion, the MBA is cool, but you just have to make too many compromises to make it worthwhile, unless you're a serious flying-all-the-time guy. It's got a slower cpu + graphics, no ethernet port, etc. Buy the MBP.