MacBook Air hacked in security contest

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 28, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I have this belief that as Macs become more popular and gain decent market share, we "could" start seeing viruses/trojans/malware. Right now, to be frank we(Mac owners) are somewhat a minority and one's who are not that valuable/of interest to hackers.
    But nevertheless, I feel so much better away from all kinds of Antivirus and Antispam and Antispywares on Windows.... phew.. what a relief...

3. macrumors G3

clevin

4. macrumors 601

Krafty

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Camino>Firefox>Safari (all versions)

7. macrumors P6

Peace

8. macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Finally, something we can all agree on. :D

Why is it important that the air got hacked? Does it matter which Mac at all?

9. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

To add a bit of perspective, my friend, who attended the conference, said that all the interest centered around the Air, and that not that many people were even interested in the other two machines. The question is, is this a bug in how WebKit handles an image or tag of some sort, or is it a bonafide bug in Safari? People have been going around in circles saying that if it were a bug in WebKit, that webkit based browsers running under Linux would be vulnerable to the same exploit, which is true, but they have also been claiming that since the exact exploit that got the Air wouldn't run on a linux machine running a webkit browser then it couldn't be a webkit problem, which is false. A linux machine would attempt the same execution of whatever code was present, but the Mac code isn't going to execute on the linux machine. Now, the web sites "covering" this have been running rather libelous headlines to make it seem as though the mac crumbled in the face of a hack attempt, but let us keep in mind that the author of this software likely invested hundreds of hours in finding it and then sat on it waiting for the conference. My friend who attended did the same thing, but his exploit did not work.

Oh, and Opera>All

10. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Nope, just trying to water ski on the "Air" boat... just like everyone else.

11. macrumors G3

clevin

ubuntu is using gnome, no webkit browser in it by default. im 99.99 percentage sure its firefox 2.x running on it.

12. macrumors regular

I wouldn't mix people looking over hacker shoulder to people ganging up on a particular machine.

Remember, the name of the game is to be the FIRST to hack a machine and win 10,000 bucks and a hacker would probably want to choose a machine he knows he CAN hack rather a machine that would give him problems.

13. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I wonder if the Windows machine was eventually hacked.

I found it interesting that on day one, no one was able to hack into anything. So the rules were changed to make it easier.

14. macrumors G3

clevin

it was by design, the reward is $20,000; $10,000; $5,000 for day 1,2,3 as well.

here you can follow the development, vista and ubuntu are still standing as of now.
    http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2008/03/28/pwn-to-own-final-day-and-wrap-up

15. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

According to the article Vista won:eek:
    "7:30pm PST Update - Vista Laptop was Won!: Congratulations to the team of Shane Macaulay and Derek Callaway (both from Security Objectives) and Alexander Sotirov! - they have just won the Fujitsu U810 laptop running Vista Ultimate SP1 after it was installed with the latest version of Adobe Flash. Not only are they the official winner of the laptop, but also $5,000 from us. The new Adobe Flash 0day vulnerability that they exploited has been acquired by the Zero Day Initiative, and has been responsibly disclosed to Adobe who is now working on the issue. Until Adobe releases a patch for this issue, neither we nor the three contestants will be giving out any additional information about the vulnerability. You will be able to track the vulnerability on the Zero Day Initiative upcoming advisories page. "

16. macrumors regular

kamm

Opera 9.5 or Firefox 3 latest betas > Camino >>> Safari

BTW latest Opera is the first to pass Acid3...

17. macrumors regular

kamm

I'm pretty sure that every major distro runs Firefox or some Mozilla variations by default - never seen anyone using webkit so far (sans Apple.)

18. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Umm, according to that article Vista didn't win, the laptop with Vista running was hacked, and thus won by the hacker.

19. macrumors regular

kamm

Ummm you didn't understood the contest. Vista - its hacker - win because it took the longest time to hack. (Ergo OS X lost as it was broken first.)

20. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

My guess is Vista only took longer because the guy who hacked OS X focused his efforts solely on OS X - had he done the same thing to Vista he would have achieved the same result.

21. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

The caution remains the same; don't visit sites from e- mails coming from unknown senders, promising larger, better and more.

22. macrumors 604

chrono1081

well from everytyhing I read he really didnt do it in 2 min, it took him 2 - 3 weeks, then he made a script that was run from a page of his that did the exploit.

23. macrumors 68000

dsnort

The Mac got hacked.

Two years in a row.

No excuses, just deal with it.

Now Apple can fix the issue, and maybe try to make the OS as secure as they've always said it was.

24. macrumors G3

clevin

real time is hard to count. after all, leopard has been out for 6 months, and vista has been out for 14 monthes, Ubuntu has been out for 6 months as well.

25. macrumors 68040

Neil321

I know the guys who hacked the air had to sign some stuff about security,but what if they said ah f**k it and did
    pass whatever they did on,would we all be in the sh*t then ?