Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guebei1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
last week ihave replaced the hard disk on my Macbook air:

MacBook Air
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookAir1,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core 2 Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 1.8 GHz

Sparepart:

TOSHIBA MK1214GAH:
Kapazität: 111,79 GB
Modell: TOSHIBA MK1214GAH
Version: BW004A

how to replace the disk:
link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flNwzqIm6J8&feature=related

you need to boot the first time your mac air from the external diskdrive with a os x installing dvd.
then use the disk utility to format the disk : system: Journaled HFS+
then use timachine to put the old data on the new disk, or install the osx from the OSX DVD.

everthins works perfect..

Guebei1

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
I thought only 5mm 1.8" HDDs would fit in the MBA??? the specs list this drive as 8mm thick. Others have reported that the 8mm will not physically fit in the MBA.

If this drive does actually fit, I might have to pick one up for my rev A.

Guebei1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I thought only 5mm 1.8" HDDs would fit in the MBA??? the specs list this drive as 8mm thick. Others have reported that the 8mm will not physically fit in the MBA.

If this drive does actually fit, I might have to pick one up for my rev A.

The orginal samsung 1,8 " 80Gb drive hs0824B/A is about 6mm thick plus up to 8 mm+ polyethylene foam.
The size of the thoshiba TOSHIBA MK1214GAH is the same but with a hard case.
Anyway the drive fit in without no space.
After the thoshiba drive is mounted in to the frame and fixed with the 4 screws, the bottom cover has to mount the right way:
First the 4 screws on the front side, after the 2 screws on the left and right side but not too tide.
Lastly the back side screws with the same torke but not too tide. The narrow slit should look parallel on the back side.
Check all screws carefully several times for the right torke.

One thing more: be carefull to plug in the ribbon cable in to the hd socket, to be sure there is contact between.

I have ordered a Samsung HS122JB 120GB 1.8" PATA ZIF 8MB DISK ATA-100, this is a thinner design. So I will see how it works....

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Didn't watch the video, but it sounds messed up. If it's too thick and the way to correct is not tighten screws very much??? Anyways, good luck to anyone attempting this. Might just be easier to upgrade to newer model with larger drive and better performance, as the cost is way way down now.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I think this is plausible.

The HDD/SSD is 5mm thick, but there are foam layers that protects the drive (both on top and bottom). The drive itself does not touch the casing... so I guess we could put a 8mm drive just no foam protection and probably tight fitting.

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
I swear when my warranty runs out, I will build the bottom case out ABS plastic and make it deep enough to fit a bare PCB of a 2.5inch Vertex SSD and solder a sata-to-pata bridge chip to connect up the ZIF ribbon. Drill a few breathing holes at the sides while at it.:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.