Macbook Air Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iTune, Feb 8, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi all,

The headphone jack on my Macbook Air doesn't function at all. As in when I plug in headphones or speakers the music/movie continues to play on the computer speakers and obviously the headphones/speakers have no sound. Can anyone help?

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

Check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you but still can't seem to get any sound and when I plug in the headphones there is still no option to select headphones as output, only internal speakers and speakers. I also don't see 'Line In' under Input Device. I guess I need to send it in for a repair?

4. macrumors regular

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, second link resetting the pram did it.

6. macrumors newbie

MacBook Air Headphone Jack fix

Read thread to diagnose my loss of one channel on speakers & headphones attached via 3.5mm audio output. Determined that it wasn't a software issue by listening to output via internal speakers and adjusting balance full left and right...which worked perfectly.
    Removed most of cotton from an ear swab (Q-tip) and moistened with alcohol.
    Rubbed it gently around inside jack...removing what I expect was dirt (or carbon from arcing?) Saw some vaguely black stains on swab when I removed it.
    Plugged speaker plug back in and I had both channels!:)