Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hi,

Which 13 inch Macbook Air is better for use in a hot humid climate (~28 degrees celsius) with no air conditioning. I would have thought the i7 might have to throttle back more to avoid overheating therefore giving less speed advantage? Which would give most fan noise?

ps. my current 2008 MBP gives virtually constant fan noise in this climate!

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
If thermal thermal characteristics are your No. 1 priority, the i5 does run cooler, from what I've gathered after reading all of the reviews I could before buying mine (i7).

ETA: and 28C is not hot at all. I had to look up conversion tables, but I live in Texas where for a solid 6 months of the year it's over 90F (32C in your parlance).

Quit worrying about something as benign as processor type due to climate. Apple, Inc. Says that the normal operating temperature (ambient) is 10C to 35C. Storage is -25C to 45C.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hi,

Which 13 inch Macbook Air is better for use in a hot humid climate (~28 degrees celsius) with no air conditioning. I would have thought the i7 might have to throttle back more to avoid overheating therefore giving less speed advantage? Which would give most fan noise?

ps. my current 2008 MBP gives virtually constant fan noise in this climate!

82 degrees F? I don't think either will make any difference. The i7 runs hotter than the i5. That is just a fact. If you can do without the performance increase, and you want to run the coolest CPU (which begs the question why since both are designed to run at their respective temperatures), then choose the slower CPU.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Get the base Air, and use the $300+ to buy an 1800btu air conditioner :D

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
28 degrees is not hot but would definitely be uncomfortable to live in if its paired with high humidity. I would worry more about the humidity than the heat when it comes to electical appliances and computers; They fail much more easily.

I don't think the CPU choice would matter much, and the fan noise would be negligible. It's alright to chose the i7 if you want, it just depends on your preference.

Last edited:

Zuxor

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2013
25 celsius? That's cold for portuguese people. In the summer we have 35/40 most days ;) Your Mac will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.