Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Unless switched off, my MacBook Air won't fully charge.

I started using it about 20 mins ago and it said 6 mins to fully charged. It now says 9 minutes.

It's as if the charger (which is original) can't cope. All I'm doing is writing a few emails (only Mail and Chrome is open).

What's up?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I started using it about 20 mins ago and it said 6 mins to fully charged. It now says 9 minutes.

It's as if the charger (which is original) can't cope. All I'm doing is writing a few emails (only Mail and Chrome is open).

What's up?
The time remaining for draining or charging your battery is a constantly-changing estimate, based on the current workload and power demands of your Mac, so it's not entirely accurate. If it's not charging while plugged in, check Activity Monitor to see if you have a process that's consuming system resources. You could also try resetting the SMC.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Was your battery actually decreasing in charge?

The time required to charge going up isn't really that weird. That will go up and down depending on what you're doing.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I started using it about 20 mins ago and it said 6 mins to fully charged. It now says 9 minutes...What's up?

Don't look at it, u will go boinko.

Those numbers are ESTIMATES and never intended to give you accurate, real-time of that you are doing.

Wanna spend more time on this? read GGJstudio thread and have a ball.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

What's up?

Could try resetting you SMC? (and PRAM).

Google the sequence.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Could try resetting you SMC? (and PRAM).

Google the sequence.

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery, power, or charging issues. Resetting it will not help. The link to resetting the SMC is in my earlier post.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery, power, or charging issues. Resetting it will not help. The link to resetting the SMC is in my earlier post.

Yeah I know. That is why I set it out it in brackets. I meant 'while your at it'. I usually do the two together as habit.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

What's up?
Never mind the minutes... Did you look at the percentage of charge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.