Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProPedderKustom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
Well I got my beautiful Macbook Air yesterday and went about transferring my data to it from my Macbook Pro. It gave me the option to migrate data via a Time Machine backup, which was perfect because my time machine backup was 20GB smaller than the MBA hard drive. I migrated my data via the Time Machine backup and started up Leopard as per Apple's software guidance. Everything was perfect - all settings, documents, etc. - EXCEPT I got NO WIRELESS reception at all and the computer showed Airport: Not Configured in the Airport status bar. After 30 minutes on the phone with Apple Care they found that using Time Machine for the migration had caused the issue and it was NOT a hardware issue, just software [even though I had done something Apple had programmed as an "acceptable"/official way to migrate data and settings]. Sooooo, I reinstalled Leopard and migrated my data via external hard drive and just redid my settings [hey, it was better than risking another Leopard install!]. Basically, DON'T use Time Machine for migration until Apple releases a fix.

Next thing is much more minor and may be normal. Even after 12 hours of charging my battery gauge is going between 98-99% - it only hit 100% for a short amount of time. Is this just the normal way the computer sort of cycles its last bit of battery automatically? Thanks all.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I used a Time Machine to migrate my data. But I told it not to migrate network information. I figured this was ideal, because the MBA didn't have the same networking options as my MBP.

In the end it worked perfectly, plus it was very fast via USB 2.0 and gave me faith that TM backups are actually good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.