Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you consider a MacBook Air without an SSD?

• Total voters

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I booted off on my 2012 i7 MacBook Air with an HDD (5400 RPM) and it's not that bad, honestly.

The Bad
Booting time (Mountain Lion): 1 Minute, 35 Seconds (EEK!) :eek:
Opening Final Cut Pro X: 40 Seconds
Opening Safari: 12 Seconds

The Good
Geekbench 64 bit performance: 7657 (Surprisingly as fast as the one with SSD. Nice.) I was expecting 2000-5000.

The Bottom Line
So basically, everything else is nearly the same in performance except for the parts where it needs to access the disk (booting, copying, loading, importing, etc.)

So, would you consider a MacBook Air with HDD, cheaper price and more storage?

Last edited:

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
The original MacBook Air had an iPod hard disk (4200rpm).

Not really a fair comparison with a decent HDD.

The reason why Apple only offer SSDs isn't just boot speeds/app launch.

There are advantages in terms of battery life and not having mechanical, moving parts.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Did you do it via Thunderbolt? Because I'm confused as to how you managed to replace this:

ssd-670x483.png%3Fw%3D670%26h%3D483

With this:

0dd91d09-2259-4381-81a6-da6f64dfd9e6.jpg

Inside this:

New-Macbook-Air-5.jpg

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
not having mechanical, moving parts.

Honestly, who would say that the good old HDD is noisy? Back in the old days, when Steve Jobs was introducing the Power Mac G4 Cube, he called it "Virtual Silence".

----------

Did you use it via Thunderbolt? Because I'm confused as to how you managed to replace this:

ssd-670x483.png%3Fw%3D670%26h%3D483

With this:

0dd91d09-2259-4381-81a6-da6f64dfd9e6.jpg

I didn't replace it. I booted it off externally. It was quite hard making it work, though. The standard installer won't boot. Apple must have made sure that their OS won't boot externally.

And by "replaced", I mean "replaced" the booting device, so it's not literally "replaced".

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
You can't boot off the RAM. But, if you could, it would take literally 0.005 seconds. From what I heard, the RAM could access data in 1 second that a Hard Drive could in 1 and a half months.

Wait what? I'm referring to the hard drive not the RAM. I'm not that dumb haha.

I meant you didn't tell us you booted externally.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Hard drives are far superior for storing data because of the better value per GB but SSDs are better for booting from.

I'd rather have a normal sized laptop with the OS and apps on an SSD and all my data on a 1TB HD. That'd be ideal for me, but sadly Apple don't sell anything like that. I could use external storage, but on a laptop that just kind of defeats the object if I need it plugged in all the time.

m.demian

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
If it means the MBA will be cheaper and the prices of the proprietary SSDs in the Air are similar to current 2.5'' SSDs (less than $1 / GB), then yes, I would.

Unfortunately, that's not the case, so no.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm not sure you could shoehorn a 2.5" HDD into an MBA case no matter how the other components were engineered. Any compromise with respect to size would seriously denigrate the market for the MBA, in my view.

I had an original MBA with HDD, and it's still going strong ... I cascaded it down to a friend. It was slow, but it got the job done. The portability was unmatched for the time, but the HDD let the machine down.

As another poster said, we've moved on. Perhaps a MBP with a 2.5" SSD and no optical drive would be worthwhile ... appropriately slimmed down, it would still be a capable machine. But it would be heavier than the MBA, and - in any case - that's a path down which Apple has decided not to walk.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
I'm not sure you could shoehorn a 2.5" HDD into an MBA case no matter how the other components were engineered. Any compromise with respect to size would seriously denigrate the market for the MBA, in my view.

I had an original MBA with HDD, and it's still going strong ... I cascaded it down to a friend. It was slow, but it got the job done. The portability was unmatched for the time, but the HDD let the machine down.

As another poster said, we've moved on. Perhaps a MBP with a 2.5" SSD and no optical drive would be worthwhile ... appropriately slimmed down, it would still be a capable machine. But it would be heavier than the MBA, and - in any case - that's a path down which Apple has decided not to walk.

I didn't put an HDD inside the Air, it's booted off externally.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
Your original post is misleading. You said you replaced it. I can boot my iMac from a USB thumbdrive instead of the HDD; that's not "replacing" it.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Geekbench measures processor, RAM, bus and cache speed. None of their tests include any sort of measure of I/O; as a matter of fact, the benchmarks are designed to be I/O independent and just measure processor, memory and OS performance. I wouldn't expect to see any difference in Geekbench scores between an SSD and an externally-booted HDD.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I didn't replace it. I booted it off externally. It was quite hard making it work, though. The standard installer won't boot. Apple must have made sure that their OS won't boot externally.

And by "replaced", I mean "replaced" the booting device, so it's not literally "replaced".

How was it difficult to make it work? I just installed a Thunderbolt SSD for my iMac to boot from...the process was plug in, format, clone, and select as boot disk. Everything worked perfectly the first time.

Screwball

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
I replaced the SSD of my 2012 i7 MacBook Air with an HDD (5400 RPM) and it's not that bad, honestly.

The Bottom Line
So basically, everything else is nearly the same in performance except for the parts where it needs to access the disk (booting, copying, loading, importing, etc.)

So basically every part of the whole performance that can affect user experience...nah thanks...:rolleyes:

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
Your original post is misleading. You said you replaced it. I can boot my iMac from a USB thumbdrive instead of the HDD; that's not "replacing" it.

By "replacing", I meant "replacing" to default boot drive. I consider that replacing.

But since you really want everything literally, I changed the title and my post. So we can all be happy. :D

I didn't really think anyone would actually worry about the replacing part, this thread was meant to focus on the performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.