MacBook Air Ordered

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Ozy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ozy
    macrumors regular

Ozy

I got it in before the servers were destroyed. Now the waiting game.

MacBook Air
    Part Number: Z0ER
    Accessory kit
    Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    80GB Parallel ATA Drive @ 4200 rpm
    Apple Remote
    1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1 $2,118.00 $2,118.00
    Estimated ship: 2-3 weeks
    Delivered within 2-3 business days after shipping
    Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
    Part Number: MB442Z/A
    1 $29.00 $29.00
    Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive
    Part Number: MB397G/A
    1 $99.00 $99.00
    AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Air/MacBook - Auto-enroll
    Part Number: S2513Z/A
    1 $249.00 $249.00
    Estimated ship: Within 24 hours
    Order Subtotal: $2,495.00
    Shipping Charge: $18.00
    Estimated Tax*: $140.72
    Estimated Total: $2,653.72

2. macrumors member

iliketomac

Wow... congrats, and WOW again! Post asap when you receive it and let us know how it is!! :D

3. macrumors 6502a

Personally I think it's a BIG waste of money.

4. macrumors 68020

Welcome to how a lot of PC users feel about Macs in general! That irritated feeling? That's exactly what a lot of folks get when people tell them to "get a Mac", when there's plenty workable stuff available for less money and better specs.

Welcome to the club. Except this time, it's also for Mac users. And I'm typing this from a Macbook, by the way.

5. Ozy
    thread starter macrumors regular

Ozy

I travel a ton. Form factor matters. I have a MacPro, 17" MBP, 15" MBP, and a MacBook. All fit their use. The Air will be a perfect fit for my 911 runs to the data center (I'm a SysAdmin at eBay), and for those other times when i just want small profile.

If I need more res, I use my 1920x1200 17". If I need more power, I sit down at my 8-way MacPro. If I need a simple terminal that doesn't slow me down, I grab the Air. Makes sense to me.

6. jnc
    macrumors 68020

jnc

but it's not YOUR money :D

7. macrumors G4

daneoni

I also think its a waste of money...and i am a long time mac user.

8. macrumors 6502a

I know, I didn't say it was.

9. macrumors 68030

Can you say SPOILED. Do you really need a 15MB,17MBP, MB, AND now the air? cmon.

10. macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Can you say EARNED?

There are some pretty envious people here.

11. BIK
    macrumors member

BIK

heatmiser wins

12. macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's his money. He can do what he likes with it. I'm a one-computer kind of guy, but if someone has a need for more, more power to them.

13. macrumors member

dudes got a job. therefore earns his money, ultimately earning those laptops.

14. macrumors 68030

I'm a multiple computer person too, but 4 state of the art laptops, that's intense. I could see a need for say a mac pro, one MBP, and than the air.

15. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ordered baseline

16. macrumors 65816

Trying to decide from SSD and 80GB hard drive.

I agree, its the OP money and what he does with it. Just like how it is my money and I do what I want with it. Other people can do other things with the money but everyone is different with different needs.

I do not need a 17" MBP for Apple Remote Desktop and watching over my Xserve and Dell Poweredge 2950 servers.

MBP is great for that Counter Strike Source LAN with friends.

17. macrumors regular

So. I would like to say a few things.

1. Congrats on the purchase. You now have the newest, best (or is it?), most popular thing from apple. Does that feel good?
    2. If you are needing portability, and you have absolutely NO upper body strength, I guess those two pounds apple shaved off DOES make a difference. I never thought people would want something smaller than a macbook.
    3. I would definitely be more inclined to purchase one if it didn't cost way more than my current computer, for something that does less.
    4. I love my blackbook.

my bottom line: a max 1.8 ghz processor, 80 GB (or coveted 64 GB solid state drive), minimal ports, and a slightly ugly design means this computer is disappointing. I never thought I'd see the day that apple would roll out the PC look-alike laptop.

18. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

:rolleyes:

19. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I am shocked. After charging you more for a lesser machine, Apple then has the cheek to ask you for $19 extra for an optional Apple Remote.

What a joke.

20. macrumors 6502a

I don't think its a waste of money. If you have the money then buy it. I don't so that wouldn't be an option for me

I'm conformed with the new MacBook I got this Christmas..I thought the MacBook Air would be better and less pricey then the regular MacBook, but it has less GHz, no superdrive(add-on), not a lot of hard drive space...but if i ever had the money, I would definitely buy it. Come on, its Apple we are talking about!

21. macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats on the purchase!!

22. macrumors 65816

Batt

23. macrumors regular

Whoa what a rip off!!!

24. Ozy
    thread starter macrumors regular

Ozy

Thanks. The thing that people just don't understand is that form factor is a feature. All they can see is the lack of connectivity ports vs a cheaper macbook or macbook pro. This laptop is for people who need ultra-thin and super battery life at the cost of some other trade off. There is a market for that genre!

And for that other poster, if you mean I'm spoiled because have so many laptops, then I guess I am. But nothing was handed to me. I busted my ass through college and am now loving my job at eBay (Been an admin for 12 years now). Computers to me are like tools in a toolbox. Each one has a best use scenario. I live, work, and play in front of a computer. It's my way of life. It's my family's way of life. If it isn't YOUR way of life, so be it.

25. macrumors 6502

Congratulations on the purchase. It's nice to see someone who isn't complaining about it. I don't think they understand how difficult it must have been to fit all of that into a small package.
    It seems to me that not long ago that everyone wanted an ultra-portable and now they are complaining about it. Sometimes I just don't understand how irrational people can be without actually looking at the product.

Oh, and please criticize me, it won't hurt my feelings and I know it will make you feel better about yourself.