Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
So. I would like to say a few things.

1. Congrats on the purchase. You now have the newest, best (or is it?), most popular thing from apple. Does that feel good?

Yes, it will.
2. If you are needing portability, and you have absolutely NO upper body strength, I guess those two pounds apple shaved off DOES make a difference. I never thought people would want something smaller than a macbook.

Then you don't think much do you? I'm not going to get into a strength discussion with you, because 2 pounds is nothing, but thin is in. Thinner laptops look cooler, more professional, and are overall a more portable solution. If you've ever put books in your backpack, I'd rather have a small and thin hard-cover than a fat and large hardcover.

3. I would definitely be more inclined to purchase one if it didn't cost way more than my current computer, for something that does less.

And what does it do less? Your macbook still has sh** (asterisks mine) graphics and a processor that's what, 400 mHz faster?

4. I love my blackbook.

Start the bells. YEAAA HAWWWW!

On a side note: Did anyone really think Apple could make a superslim laptop that didn't sacrifice anything and was inexpensive? Are you all idiots?

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
What I enjoy the most about all the bashers is that, when the concept of the Macbook Air came out the other day. It looked almost the same way as it does not, with some obvious cosmetic changes. People were excited about it when they saw the concept mock-up, and I remember people saying they didn't care what the price was to pay for such a thing. But now, suddenly, it's too expensive.

Just because it's small doesn't make it less expensive. You're paying for the ability to have ultra-portable.

Kinda like if you buy a new hybrid electric/gas car. They are more expensive, but you are paying for a specialty not everyone offers.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini. Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow. The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great. It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

Good luck with that.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini.

O noes!

Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow.

I'm thinking about it. And the more I think, the more it doesn't matter how nice you think it looks.

The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great.

I don't think anyone is doing any heavy editing with video on this laptop.

It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

To you it is not worth $2500. You can't say things absolutely (It is definItely NOT worth the money) because it makes you look rigid and close-minded. Look at the Sony TZ series. This compares very favorably price wise with that.

Good luck with that.[/QUOTE]

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
waste of money... you just plunked down almost $2500.00 for a computer that has less processing power than a mac mini. Think about it... I don't care how nice it looks, its still going to be slow slow slow. The life expectency (from a processing power standpoint) is not that great. It is definately NOT worth the money. $1000.00 maybe, but not $2500.00.

Good luck with that.

Why does everyone spend the time to put down people liking the ultra-portable? It's not replacing the Macbook or the Macbook Pro, it's another option. Everyone should be glad we get more choices in laptops and stop bitching about how you can't afford it or how it's not for you.

Enjoy.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Everyone should be glad we get more choices in laptops and stop bitching about how you can't afford it or how it's not for you.

Enjoy.

Exactly correct. As of now I am happy typing on my Macbook but if I was able to get a MBA I would jump on the opportunity. Too bad tuition is due in a week.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I will bet you $5.00 that in 1 year, this will be one of the most disappointing products that apple has rolled out. They will sell a lot initially, but that will slow down over the next few months. The overwhelming response to this product in the initial few hours has been very negative. I can only imagine what it will be like in the next few weeks to months.

I agree, this is not the product for me. If it is the product for you, then go for it, enjoy.

I hope I am wrong, but I am usually not. I think apple has made a tremendous mistake. Mark my words (my three degrees in engineering and 20 years of experience says I have a little bit of insight)

This is not the product the typical mac user will buy. A PC user yes, a mac user no ..

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Ordered one too. Slightly baffled by the naysayers in here. I'll happily trade in my bulky 15" MacBook Pro for one. I've been wanting a 13" MacBook Pro for some time... this is even better than I could have hoped for. The last time I used my optical drive was when I installed Leopard... the day it came out.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I agree, this is not the product for me. If it is the product for you, then go for it, enjoy.

Then don't belittle someone who is going for it. It's just kind of rude, especially considering someone who is going for it already knows its pros and cons.

I hope I am wrong, but I am usually not. I think apple has made a tremendous mistake. Mark my words (my three degrees in engineering and 20 years of experience says I have a little bit of insight)

This is not the product the typical mac user will buy. A PC user yes, a mac user no ..

And your insight is appreciated. We'll have to see. Remember, I don't think Apple is expecting this to sell as much as the iPhone or iPod, this is merely the first generation of a new category they entered. And if you look at it objectively, they did a pretty damn good job with it.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005

Good luck with that.

Who is paying $2,500?

You should put up a warning sign... Your tears are making the floor slippery.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005

Why aren't you working at Apple with everyone else then?
Seriously, it drives me crazy when people think they know what they are talking about. There is a reason Steve Jobs is the head of the company and not you, and just because you have degrees and "wisdom" does not make you right.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I agree, I think they did a great job with it. I think paying $2500.00 for it is ridiculous.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
lol woww
this has to be the worse apple product in history

ram soldered on board? battery not replaceable? 1.6ghz? $1800?

haha what a piece of junk

i cant wait for the "my macbook air burnt me today" threads

this thing is gonna over heat to much due to its incredible thin size

i foresee many many many problems with this MBA

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
its your money, you "proabbly" earned it you can do what you want.

but to me, its the biggest rip off in the history of computing IMO.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007

cosign that

the only decent products apple has are the MBP and the Iphone

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Listen, I am a die hard apple fan. I love the company, I love its products, but they have made some colossal mistakes along the way. I know that I am not Steve Jobs, but he is not perfect, he has made some boo boo's in his career. Its not to say he is not brilliant, I am a huge fan, and he saved the company in the late 90's.

I think the MB Air is a sexy, nice machine, which fits a certain niche. Having said that, I think it is way overpriced for what you get, and doesn't have that much of an advantage over its current line-up of notebook computers.

I also think it is underpowered and people will be disappointed with the performance and find that they have to replace it sooner than expected (which means more $$).

You have to be objective and cannot simply put a blindfold on and because it comes from the mouth of Jobs and it is made by apple that all is good in the world. That sounds rather cultish to me.

I think this thing is overpriced, underpowered, and will not sell well.

When someone gets one please let us know how it is from a performance perspective, be honest.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
and it has a tiny 80gb hard drive thats not replaceable

oh god what a disaster

ok im done

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
lol woww
this has to be the worse apple product in history

ram soldered on board? battery not replaceable? 1.6ghz? $1800?

haha what a piece of junk

i cant wait for the "my macbook air burnt me today" threads

this thing is gonna over heat to much due to its incredible thin size

i foresee many many many problems with this MBA

Worst Apple product in history? I understand that for the dimm (count it), hyperbole is a very commonly used arguing tactic, but it really doesn't work here. The simple fact is that this compares very favorably price-wise and feature-wise with its main competitor, the Sony TZ series. And foresee problems all you want, they haven't happened yet.

and it has integrated graphics
hahahaha

Did you expect dual SLI's?

See above.

EDIT to amrk: 80 GB is fine for the market they were trying to target. Besides, not everyone needs over 100 GB of...video files like you have. 80 is fine for those of us who use our computers for portable computing, lots of documents, and the internet.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Firstly, congratulations to all the MBA buyers out there.

Secondly, all you that are making negative comments about the people buying the MacBook Air's, why don't you shut up?

I don't think much of the MacBook Air (but that's mainly because I was genuinely hoping for a MacBook Pro update), but I'm genuinely pleased for the people who love it enough to buy one.

MBA Buyers: You will love your new laptops I'm sure, and please keep us posted on how you get on with them, They will sell, because they are somewhat unique in their design.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Why aren't you working at Apple with everyone else then?

Seriously, it drives me crazy when people think they know what they are talking about. There is a reason Steve Jobs is the head of the company and not you, and just because you have degrees and "wisdom" does not make you right.

Because I switched careers and am now a physician practicing cardiology. I was bored with engineering. It wasn't fun anymore.

Steve Jobs is not the almighty. He makes mistakes sometimes. I think this is one of them.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Firstly, congratulations to all the MBA buyers out there.

Secondly, all you that are making negative comments about the people buying the MacBook Air's, why don't you shut up?

I don't think much of the MacBook Air (but that's mainly because I was genuinely hoping for a MacBook Pro update), but I'm genuinely pleased for the people who love it enough to buy one.

MBA Buyers: You will love your new laptops I'm sure, and please keep us posted on how you get on with them, They will sell, because they are somewhat unique in their design.

Unless we moved to Iran, this is still a free country. We are free to express our views. If people want to waste their money they are free to do that also. This is America!!!

Boy, Jobs really had a Cult of Personality..... 80's flashback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.