Macbook Air Overheating

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by thormarketing, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors member

Hey guys,

My Macbook Air kept overheating. The fan was running nonstop. I tried watercooling it, and now it wont start. I think I may have been too slow/let it run overheated for too long and maybe?

Is there anything I can do to get it to start or am I out of luck? I knew I should have let sit in the sunny room without trying to cool it first.

2. macrumors 6502

Jesla

Imagine that.........LOL

The MBA will shut down on it's own before it over heats to the point of damage.

3. simsaladimbamba

If a Mac, or any modern consumer or workstation computer, is nearing overheating, it will shut down.

As you tried to cool it with water, in what way is unknown, you probably have damaged it with water, thus making it no longer functional.

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

4. thread starter macrumors member

It was in clamshell mode though with a plastic case, so I don't think the water hurt it.

5. macrumors 6502

Jesla

Chances are that it did get wet, since it won't boot. If it truly did overheat and shut down, it would boot up after it cooled down.

6. macrumors 601

ROFL!

U kids crack me up. REALLY?

7. simsaladimbamba

Can you describe, how exactly you tried to watercool it? Since that information is lacking, further help is kinda far away.

8. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MacBook Air was not overheating. If it was, it would have shut down.
    Your fans are always running when your Mac is on. They spin faster as needed to keep temps in a safe operating range.
    That's because using water on a Mac is an incredibly foolish thing to do and can result in permanent damage, not to mention voiding your warranty.

9. macrumors 6502a

spork183

I think he meant "Waterboarding", not watercooling. Works wonders when data is not forthcoming... :D

10. macrumors 6502

iMacC2D

Not always the case. My 2012 system is rated by Intel for a TJunction Core maximum temperature of 105C, and yet I can easily push it up to around 110C without a thermal shutdown. The system does however attempt to throttle back the processor to stabilise it at the maximum of 105C.

This machine does have a lot of issues however, unfortunately, and frankly has been a little disappointing for a near top configuration unit priced at $2499. It will likely be back in the repair shop again this week for more Logic Board work.

11. GGJstudios, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The fact is, it will shut down before any damage occurs, regardless of the specific temp. The processors can handle much more than 105C without damage. The shut down occurs before an unsafe temp is reached.

Intel 3720 qm overheating?

12. thread starter macrumors member

I just used a bottle, though it's not very advanced.

13. simsaladimbamba

Again, lacking information. What did you do with the bottle?

14. thread starter macrumors member

Well I essentially put it in a tub with the cooling liquid in order to bring it to a better temperature. After that it wouldn't boot.

15. simsaladimbamba

What cooling liquid? And are you frelling with us?

16. macrumors 68020

As mentioned earlier if pushed to the limit it shuts down.

When that happens to mine I just hose it off in the driveway. Because its off, the water never harms it.

However nothing is without its drawbacks. It takes a big tub of rice & two full weeks to dry out.

/ kidding

17. macrumors regular

Dry the tub or get a new one. Unplug it leave unplugged.

With it UNPLUGGED, put 2-3 inches of rice in the tub, then the MBP in the tub with the rice, the cover the laptop with more rice.

Then let it chill for about a week, plug it in and see if it boots.

Also if it boots, the battery is most likely shot/shorted.

All this would Not be covered by Apple Care.

Please, no more water cooling

18. macrumors 603

thekev

You guys actually believe someone gave their notebook a bath?

19. simsaladimbamba

Come on, we have seen stranger things. And for a troll this would be a really low entry, thus it can only be true, without pix and all.

Maybe it was lube.

20. macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

OP, we still dont understand what you did to "watercool" your Mac.
    What did you do? Stick it in a tub of water? While on? What's the point?
    My Macbook Pro's fan runs at 100% while watching netflix in bed, with the CPU hovering around 80C, but I know it's fine, as it is not past the thermal threshold. This post is either a troll or a spontaneous act of stupidity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.