Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdee11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I have a massive problem with a new Macbook Air. It already came with Lion but I intended to install Snow Leopard, so performed a hard disk erase then proceeded to boot from a Mac Software USB drive but when holding down C it kept hanging at the Apple Logo Screen, no spinning wheel. Then I tried a SL DVD instead but instantly goes to a Kernal Panic (Unsupported CPU error)

Command-R doesn't seem to work anymore and Internet Recovery also keeps failing. I've ran an Apple Hardware test and everything comes back as ok. I've resetted the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC which hasn't made any difference

I'm completely out of ideas what to try next, I'm led to believe this could be the cause of a failed hard disk?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The only way to get Snow Leopard working on the new model is to run a copy of Snow Leopard Server in virtualization (Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion support it). You need the server version, though.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Looks like you pooched it. As mentioned above and in many other threads, Snow Leopard will NOT install on a 2011 Macbook Air. No way around it but to run it in virtualization.

It's strange that the Internet Recovery isn't working. Check this Apple support page and verify your network setup matches what's supported.

If ALT-Command-R *still* doesn't work, sounds like it's time for a call or visit to Apple.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I had the same issues with the Internet Recovery after I wiped my 11" to return it.

One thing I noticed: Internet recovery does not work with the USB Ethernet Adapter. It seems to start but it 'hangs' with an estimated completion time of 24:00 hours.

It is also picky on WiFi access points, even repeatedly entering the password did not get it into mine. I tried another access point and that worked.

You could also try disabling the WEP/WPA security while it's loading the initial recovery image but don't forget to turn it back on afterwards of course.

sdee11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for your replies. I didn't realise it wasn't possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard. If I make a Lion Bootable USB Drive, is there a chance this will at least let me reinstall?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Thanks for your replies. I didn't realise it wasn't possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard. If I make a Lion Bootable USB Drive, is there a chance this will at least let me reinstall?

Yes, but not using the Lion install from the App store; the version in the App store doesn't work on the 2011 Air at this time I believe. You'd likely need a friend to pull down the Internet Recovery version on a different 2011 Air using this technique described here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716

What is strange though is that your computer won't work with Alt-Command-R. It should come up with a "Starting Internet Recovery" and a spinning globe on the screen.

extramindful

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
I cannot do diagnostic work nor can the Apple Store on Mid Macbook Air because NONE of these Macbook Airs will not USB Lion boot from an external disk. Apple does not appear to know of this issue. At the Apple Store we also tested the Macbook Airs at the store, and they did NOT boot from various USB devices. The Apple Store said there should be a firmware update to correct this issue. All my external formatted Lion disks will boot fine on my iMac. Wonder if thunderbolt will help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.