Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I'm considering either a 2.2ghz macbook white or a macbook air base model.

With the educational discount I'm looking at 1199 for the macbook and 1699 for the macbook air.

I know the air is more expensive but I'm trying to figure out what the residual value of each computer would be in a year, when I will most likely upgrade.

Anyone have ideas of what the computers would be worth in a year if I kept them in mint condition? If they both lose the same value or close, I think I'll spring for the macbook air. Any thoughts?

PS. I would not be using either of these machines for power really, but if I went for the macbook I'd at least want a superdrive, thats the only reason I'd get the 2.2ghz rather then the base model.

jat543

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
personally i would go with the regular macbook because it just allows you to do more, much harder to sell a computer that doesn't have its own optical drive, only 1 usb port, and cant fit a usb modem into that slot. Also, in 6 months a new Air will be out that corrects all the stuff they got wrong, so might as well go with the macbook because at least that is a solid consumer laptop

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
personally i would go with the regular macbook because it just allows you to do more, much harder to sell a computer that doesn't have its own optical drive, only 1 usb port, and cant fit a usb modem into that slot. Also, in 6 months a new Air will be out that corrects all the stuff they got wrong, so might as well go with the macbook because at least that is a solid consumer laptop

Everything in this post is correct. I'll just add that it is the height of folly to buy a computer because of its potential resale value. *Especially* a product that hasn't been debugged by a single purchaser.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
I'm considering either a 2.2ghz macbook white or a macbook air base model.

With the educational discount I'm looking at 1199 for the macbook and 1699 for the macbook air.

I know the air is more expensive but I'm trying to figure out what the residual value of each computer would be in a year, when I will most likely upgrade.

Anyone have ideas of what the computers would be worth in a year if I kept them in mint condition? If they both lose the same value or close, I think I'll spring for the macbook air. Any thoughts?

PS. I would not be using either of these machines for power really, but if I went for the macbook I'd at least want a superdrive, thats the only reason I'd get the 2.2ghz rather then the base model.

My opinion is that if you will be upgrading anyways, why would you spend the extra money on a machine that does the same thing, if not less. Get the White Macbook, it is faster, a lot more practical for a student, and it saves you $500 whether it holds is value as well or not.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Lets just say the question wasn't worth asking lol.

It's like asking a BMW forum if you get a Mercedes or a Mercedes forum if you should get a BMW. That's how this whole MBA nonsense is ending up...

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Lets just say the question wasn't worth asking lol.

It's like asking a BMW forum if you get a Mercedes or a Mercedes forum if you should get a BMW. That's how this whole MBA nonsense is ending up...

That didn't make a bit of sense...

Anyways, just go with the MacBook. It's cheaper, faster, better, and fatter!

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
That didn't make a bit of sense...

Anyways, just go with the MacBook. It's cheaper, faster, better, and fatter!

DUH simple, if you don't like the MBA you aren't going to say it has better residual value even if it might actually be the case.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
dude, get a white macbook.

i personally own a 2.2 SR MB. its awesome!!

the most important factor you must consider is that the macbook is time tested. more power. way more possibilities.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I only will use my mac with very basic programs, internet browsing, iphoto, and email so the power issues are not going to affect my purchase decision. All I know is that I want a portable mac, so that leaves me to either a macbook or the macbook air.

I want to base my decision pretty much soley on how much money it will cost me to own the computer for one year.

If the macbook would be worth $750 in a year then it would cost me $450 to own for the year and if the macbook air would be worth $1350 in a year then that would only cost me $350 to own for the year.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has ideas on what the machines would be worth in 12 months... Can people posting after this please just give me your idea on what the residual value would be for the macbook and macbook air? Thanks!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I want to base my decision pretty much soley on how much money it will cost me to own the computer for one year.

If the macbook would be worth $750 in a year then it would cost me $450 to own for the year and if the macbook air would be worth $1350 in a year then that would only cost me $350 to own for the year.

I just wanted to see if anyone here has ideas on what the machines would be worth in 12 months... Can people posting after this please just give me your idea on what the residual value would be for the macbook and macbook air? Thanks![/B]

This is very bad logic, as you have no idea how much the MBA will be worth when you decide to sell it. And what if you break the computer or damage it somehow during the time of ownership? Or what if the updated MBA blows away the current MBA in specs? What if the MBA features a price drop, the way the iPhone did? You're making a huge mistake with this, IMO. :D

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
This is an easy one. In actual dollars, you'll take a much bigger bath on the MBA, simply because it's so much more expensive right now and so much more likely to A) come down in price with a year (ESPECIALLY the 64GB model) and B) have an improved version come out. For someone looking to buy and get most of their money back by selling on ebay in a year, get the MacBook, no question.

Coatsy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
Or what if the updated MBA blows away the current MBA in specs?

You can wait forever, but no matter when you buy one, a newer one will never be more than six months away.

Unless, of course, its a MBP, right? Because it's been almost 8 months, and you don't predict an update til summer.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Excellent point. Anyway, MBP will be updated soon. I need that laptop in a 12-13" model. But I'm sure I won't get it. Life sucks.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
You can wait forever, but no matter when you buy one, a newer one will never be more than six months away.

Unless, of course, its a MBP, right? Because it's been almost 8 months, and you don't predict an update til summer.

Or the 500+ days on the Mac Pro...

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

True, I don't expect an update for the MBPs until summer. My point, though, is that you can't be King of the Hill for very long, so you might as well get something and enjoy it. A few years from now, it won't matter if you bought one 2ghz laptop over another 2ghz laptop. We'd laugh at someone if they posted about how much better the 1.67 G4 Powerbook was than the 1.5 G4 Powerbook. It's no different with the MBPs, or any other computer. Once it's old (and it's gonna get old), it's old. So don't worry about it...:cool:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

Have you put this in perspective? Consider the unbelievable amount of financial surprises that can occur in a 12 month period. A speeding ticket, $200. Medical problems co-pay, $50-500. Car accident deductible, $500. A gasoline hike of $0.50/gallon would cost me $240 annually.

Being as I also like shiny new things (cars, computers, cell phones) I consider the difference a rental period. Your considering your laptop of the next 12+ months based on one costing $8.25 a month more than the other! That's an extra visit to Starbucks.

Come Friday find your nearest Apple Store and use the Air next to the MB and let us know which one you felt better on.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
But then, if you bought a June MBP, you will have had the latest and greatest for a whole year...

Read the rest of my post.

My point, though, is that you can't be King of the Hill for very long, so you might as well get something and enjoy it. A few years from now, it won't matter if you bought one 2ghz laptop over another 2ghz laptop. We'd laugh at someone if they posted about how much better the 1.67 G4 Powerbook was than the 1.5 G4 Powerbook. It's no different with the MBPs, or any other computer. Once it's old (and it's gonna get old), it's old. So don't worry about it...:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.