Macbook Air Screen Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacRuler, May 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

I have been having this problem for like 3 months now. I am talking about the black squares and the color of the menu bar. It happens when the computer gets a little hot, it is really annoying and cant find the fix anywhere. I dont even know what to call it or how to address it. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502

Looks similar to the video corruption in this thread.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

can anyone else shed some light on this? I looked at the logic board, and cant seem to find any corrosion or anything wrong with the logic board.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

can anyone else shed some light on this? I looked at the logic board, and cant seem to find any corrosion or anything wrong with the logic board.

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Looks like the graphics card is fried.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

well if it does have something to do with the logic board, would it be safe to clean it with rubbing alcohol? i dont want to spend money on it, because it only happens sometimes and it goes away when i log out or restart or shut down the computer so its not a Huge deal.

8. macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

which Rev do you have? how heavily do you use your air?

9. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That's not your problem. Unless you know you had spilled something there's nothing to use alcohol on it to clean up. I think you should see if there's warranty coverage.

10. macrumors 6502

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to imply that a spill would necessarily be the root cause. More than you likely have a bad GPU in there, which probably would require a new logic board. Is this machine still under warranty? If not, you might try replacing the thermal grease and see if that helps maybe there isn't sufficient contact between the GPU and the heat sink.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

this is the rev A 1.6, and since like 15 minutes ago i am facing even more problems! the computer is VERY sluggish even with just safari open, like when i type it takes like half a second for the letter to appear. i guess ill just have to call apple.:(

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

nevermind about the slowing down of the computer, i just did a reset of the pram, and it seems to be ok. I just called apple and they said that my phone support expired 90 days ago. So i cant even talk to them about the problem......:eek: i guess i'll just get applecare from ebay, if it becomes to much of a problem. Does anyone think this will be a problem, considering that i will be installing a runcore ssd in about 1-2 weeks from now? thank you

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

and to scottsdale i might of spilt soapy water in it from when i installed the bestkinsever i bought. could that have caused the problem? and if so, could i safely fix it with rubbing alcohol? thanks

14. macrumors 6502a

Do you have the Flash 10.1 beta installed? Or Adobe CS5 (which installs the flash beta)? Flash 10.1 beta causes problems that look like this on the MBA rev A.

15. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No. It's really NOT your problem. If you spilled a glass of orange juice or a bowl of soup, maybe. This is something in your graphics or logic board and it's not going to be cleaned up with alcohol.

16. macrumors 65816

gan6660

Having the same issue on a MBA I recently bought and was wondering if you ever found a fix?

17. macrumors 68040

This was one of the many issues with the Rev A that i had. I believe apple replaced the entire logic board and graphics card.

18. macrumors 65816

gan6660

Do you think they would do it out of warranty? Like with the cracking on the macbooks?