MacBook Air slowdowns, cain of sorted... Spotlight related.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by leez, Dec 31, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi. I'v noticed from time to time, that my MBA is slowing down a bit, mouse is not responding for a few seconds, dock is really slow etc. Launched Activity Monitor and the CPU usage was a bit high for one of the processes: mdsworker (60-80%), which gave me the famous core shutdowns after a while. And bang, there it was. Did a bit of research and found, that this is Spotlight indexing process... which is indexing my Downloads folder, while downloading something.

So for anyone having the same issue, it will help a lot, there is the solution for that:

1. Set every single download (from Safari, Firefox, Transmission, Skype etc, whatever you use) to one download folder.*

2. In System Preferences, under Personal, go to Spotlight. Select Privacy tab and add a folder, your download folder to the list.

* Setting all of them to one folder is easier, but if you prefer to keep it separated, in step 2 add all of them to the list.

This will stop endless indexing of downloaded files. Thought I had this set, but apparently not. This helped me a lot. Hope it will help you too.