MacBook Air Storage Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FullMetalx117, May 8, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I recently bought a 2012 macbook air 128gb version. When I first started i checked the storage it had 120gb available in total storage. I downloaded ilife, iwork, itunes stuff, etc. Now when I am checking the storage I only have 60gb available? My suspicion is that it has something o do with itunes. have several movies on my itunes account and about 30gb being used is from movies. I haven't actually downloaded any movies though. I usually just stream them. Music also taking up 800 megabytes even though i only actually downloaded one song. And finally about 22 gb is being taken by "other" which i really don't know. I am a former pc user and this stuff was usually easy to figure out for me. Anyone know what the problem is?

2. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

If you suspect iTunes, open Finder and go to Users -> Your username -> Music -> iTunes and use Get Info to see how much space the folders are taking up. Then you'll know.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

just did that. itunes not taking up more than 3 gbs

4. macrumors 68020

5. macrumors member

You might want to take a look at Daisy Disk - you can download it and use the free trial version, which I believe has no expiration date - it will help you see where your largest files are located. Since you're a former Windows user, it's pretty close to windirstat, if you ever used that in your past life. Also check for local Time Machine backups - they can also take up a good chunk of storage.

6. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

So, we know it's not iTunes. What else could it be? I'll assume you've emptied the trash. Did you install Windows/Bootcamp? How about browsing around in finder and see which main folders are bloated and then drill down from there?

7. macrumors 6502