MacBook Air Superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by App Downloader, Feb 16, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2011
    I bought a MacBook Air superdrive, and the first time I inserted a DVD disk it said something about setting the region code and I only had 5 times to change it or something, so can I reset the region code count someday, incase i change it 5 more times?
  2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
  3. macrumors member

Feb 10, 2011
  4. macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2010
    i think its tied to the hardware so you only get 5 times. i'd pick the one you view most of your content in
  5. macrumors member

Jul 6, 2010
    No you can't change it after 5 times - officially.

You may or may not be able download the drive's firmware and do a factory reset. Then the count starts at 0 again. This would require you to know the exact drive mechanism, finding the firmware on the internet and then uploading it to the drive. I have never gone through that process so I can't outline what that process takes, maybe you would even be required to do that from within windows.

This whole region business is a weird relict of the big film studios, dividing up the world in regions so they can cash in.
  6. macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2011
    for movies on dvd i've used vlc to watch different region dvds. that was a way to skip apple dvd player's 5 change rule. maybe someone knows if this has changed as i havent been watching foreign dvd's recently
  7. macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2009
    Just use the VLC player, the above poster is right. I have a whole collection of foreign DVDs and I never change the drive's region code, I just use VLC.