Macbook air too slow on Preview.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by orfeas0, Mar 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

So I have a 2011 macbook air base model (2gb ram, 1,6ghz i5, 64gb ssd).
    It's blazing fast for everything and the only time it slows down is on Preview.

But it slows down a lot. Not only while editing photos but for example, I had 3 e-books in PDF format , which I opened from safari using "Open in preview" in order to download them permanently.
    The saving is fast, but when I closed each of them , preview got stuck for like half a minute with a spinwheel.
    Why does it take so long to just close a window?
    My ram isn't even full (500mb left) and cpu is working at 16-25% speed.
    So is it the GPU's fault?

Also, because of the low ram (2gb), intel's HD3000 only has 256mb memory, instead of the 384mb on the 4gb models. Is there a way to change that? Make it use more ram, since I don't need it anyway?

2. macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's the weak HD3000 iGPU, which is relatively slow in rendering video. Sandy Bridge TurboBoost can't make up for that.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guessed so... But is there a way to give the iGPU more available ram, or is it locked at 256mb?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bump this thread but I couldn't find anything by googling it.
    Is there a way to give the iGPU more available ram than 256mb? Or is it locked in a certain memory depending on the available ram?

5. macrumors 6502

How on earth would a weak GPU make the Preview app do a 30 sec beachball when exiting the app? I can promise you that's not the cause.

Not sure what the problem is, but something is broken with Preview. I would try a reinstall of Lion, that would probably fix it.