MacBook Air trackpad click not responding?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by katie365, May 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

May 4, 2012

I have a Macbook Air and the trackpad mouse cursor is working but when i try to click something it doesn't function at all, what can I do?

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)
  2. macrumors 68030

Oct 9, 2008
    In my world.
    Phone Apple my 2008 MB's trackpad did the same thing.
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2010
    I had the same issue. Seems that the macbook air chassis is so weak*, repeatedly pressing the pad causes it to bend inwards like a V (a very subtle one), so I didn't even feel a click when I pressed it when mine went because it was compressed.

I fixed it by bending it back out, but I wouldn't advise somebody else to this incase it goes wrong, but that's the fix & I bet its all Apple will do.

*waits for all the Apple fan-idiots to start defending something they probably don't even own.
  4. macrumors member

Mar 24, 2008
    Option in System Preferences

By default tap-to-click is not activated - at least I always fall for it when playing with Macbooks in the store, when they don't react to a tap. :rolleyes:

Go to System Preferences/Trackpad and tick in the left column "Tap to Click".

5. macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2009
    Wirelessly posted

mine was replaced under warranty
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 4, 2012
    anybody got any tips or trick that I can try to resolve the problem without having to get the whole thing replaced?
  7. roseboice2, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

macrumors newbie

May 14, 2012
    trackpad clicking not working - solved

For the trackpad in place of the mouse.........
    After trying everything listed - new batteries, looking for the screw, calling apple, looking for water damage, etc.... I looked at my trackpad from the side and realized that it was slightly bent... i GENTLY straightened it out and Boom Done. Trackpad click fixed.
    Crazy, but it worked immediately. Just make sure you turn it back on after you take out the batteries.... couldn't figure out why it wasn't connecting even though the click was working.... : )
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you, Dr.Soong, that was the problem exactly! ...Joe
  9. macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2011
    No, i just got mine replaced today, no work arounds sorry its quite common.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    So how do you know this is common?
  11. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    It's not common.

Did you follow JoeG2013's instructions?
  12. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I bought an MBA 2 years ago when the new design first came out. The trackpad simply wouldn't function well. Took it to Apple, genius agreed with me and sent it in and they replaced the bottom. It came back and still didn't click properly. I decided not to fix it and returned it under the 14 day warranty and bought a cMBP instead. I think the thin body doesn't have enough room for a good trackpad. This is why I'm not really considering an MBA now even though it has more power than the cMBP I'm running on now.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    What are you talking about? I am not having problems with my MBA trackpad. I'm not the thread starter or saying I had a problem with mine.

I was playing devil's advocate in my post, asking how he knew it was a common problem because I believe it is not a common problem.
  14. macrumors 65816

May 4, 2012
    I quoted the wrong person, so sue me. :rolleyes:
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2008
    Maybeh I will! :p

I was just confused. I was like aren't we agreeing? Haha.