Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blanco.juanfeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Hey Guys,

You are probably tired of comparisons between the Air and the Pro, but I have a question that might change my decision. I been trying yo decide between the 13'' Air and the 13'' Pro. I love the speed of the Air, but the lack of upgradability is making me doubt. The Pro´s extra processing power is nice, and the avility to upgrade essential components like ram and hard drive is a big deal for me. I can´t really justify spending $1200 dollars on a laptop with a 5,400RPM HDD and a 1280 by 800 screen. I don't know if the low res will become a problem in the near future, when programs (and maybe even the OS) require a higher-res screen.

Could the low-res screen become a problem later on with some programs?

BTW: I'm a student, not planning to use any editiong software, other than iMovie or Avid Sudio, very light use. I will use Office and iWork regularly and surf the Web. It will also be nice to use Parallels, to run Windows 8, but there is the option to use Bootcamp. Lately I have been considering the base-line 11'' Air, I like the portability and storage isn't really an issue for me, as I always carry an external hard-drive and have lots of cloud storage.

Could you also recommend a specific configutarion? Considering my needs.

THANKS!!

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
You will probably not going to notice that extra line of pixel difference, and as I understand it the pro uses regular voltage processor where as the air uses a ultra low voltage processor. Perhaps it is because the air has inadequate cooling compare to the pro.

I'm a college student, and I have the early 2011 mbp with 2.7ghz i7, 256 m4 ssd, 16gb ram, one terabyte hdd attachment on optibay. The processing speed and snapiness response from osx applications and applications from windows 7 parallels desktop is a refreshing experience. But the weight of the laptop and the books in my backpack is taking a toll on my back.
I have been seriously reconsidering giving up all that upgradability and snappy speed of the pro for the lighter weight of the air. But if you are well in shape and fitness and don't mind a few extra pounds on your back, then the pro would be a better buy. It can pull through heavy application with less effort than the air. The regular voltage processor and upgradability gives the pro an edge over the air in term of performance. Just spend another hundred bucks on the higher CPU, everything else is upgradable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.