Macbook Air will not boot after Genius "repair" - Need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by norushz, Sep 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My macbook air (late 2010) had a broken keyboard for several weeks from being cleaned with Lysol wipes (interestingly recommended officially by Apple Support). It was completely functional with no other issues than a broken keyboard. I dropped off the laptop to be repaired by Apple and they informed me that the cost would be $800 to repair as the motherboard had to be replaced. I decided not to go ahead with the repair. However, the laptop that I picked up does not turn on or charge and is basically an iBrick.

I have not had much luck discussing this with the Apple Geniuses at the store. What is my next best bet here? Needless to say, when I dropped off the laptop to be repaired, they suggested a $220 repair cost and no risks of getting an iBrick as the final outcome.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors P6

Intell

If you can, check the serial number on the machine. They may have given you the incorrect machine.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice so far. The serial number is the same. The steps for troubleshooting you have provided will not work as the keyboard is non-functioning to begin with and an external keyboard will not work until the computer turns on. I had setup an automatic bootup at a specific time on a daily basis but this is not working also.

Should I be talking to Apple customer relations at this point? Any #'s or suggestions would be much appreciated.

5. macrumors regular

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE and just ask for Customer Relations. They have to transfer you, and you will get results.

Good luck.

6. macrumors regular

Some wireless keyboards will work Before the OS loads (microsoft arc, for example) or try a USB board.