Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisv

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
My boss has a macbook air, he wants to know if we connected a new Apple 24" LED display to it, would it work if we were to connect the usb network adapter to the display usb port?

Also does the network adapter work through a usb hub? I've searched around on the web but struggling to find a definate model that works!

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
My boss has a macbook air, he wants to know if we connected a new Apple 24" LED display to it, would it work if we were to connect the usb network adapter to the display usb port?

Also does the network adapter work through a usb hub? I've searched around on the web but struggling to find a definate model that works!

Yes - The screen acts as a USB hub.

I dont see why it wouldnt work through ay usb hub.. The only difference may be the need for powered hubs.

playalistic

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Surrey, UK

Yup, works fine here!

stoconnell

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Rockville (Despite REM's plea.)
The USB ethernet adapter will work just fine. I am able to use mine with a 24" Dell monitor with a built-in USB hub.

Some caveats: you do need to have the machine on AC if you want to use it in clamshell mode (I really dislike jumping back and forth between the onboard LCD and a monitor -- drives me nuts). Also, I had to disable putting the monitor to sleep while on AC to prevent the USB hub in the monitor from going away and dropping me off the network, which sucks if you have a bunch of open ssh connections .. screen on the remote host saves the day, but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.