MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tbluhp, Jul 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

I bought a macbook air to replace my mac book pro due to issues

see this

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17537054#post17537054

Question though why they get rid of the SD memory card slot for the 11inch?

Also the SSD is great but I only have little room compared to 1TB that I had with my MBP can I instal apps on a external drive and also what about boot camp?

2. macrumors 65816

musika

The 11" is packed. That's probably why there is no SD slot, but we can't really know for sure.

Yes you can install apps on an external drive.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks what about installing boot camp?

Also has anyone been sussful in opening up the air to instal an bigger SSD drive?

4. macrumors 6502a

I have the 13" and one reason was the SD slot for my camera to save carrying a lead around. The 11" is pretty full, so maybe there simply was no internal space for the card?

I also opted for the 512GB SSD as 128 is rediculously small, and I barely survived with 256GB on the last air, so given the chance to get 512GB I jumped at it.

Boot camp works great on mine to dual boot into Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Buy a laptop that adapts to the way you want to use it, not one where you have to adapt around it's
    inadequacies

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you instal boot camp if they only give you 128GB of storage? (at least I did) I don't want to pay more then what I have.

6. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

Its practically impossible and definitely impracticable.. I partitioned my iMac hard drive for 75GB Windows 7 Home Premium and after the OS install I barely have 40GB left. Windows 7 is huge and because of that you will either have nothing available on your Mac side or Windows side. You need more than 128GB in order to utilize bootcamp.

7. macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

may be relevant: see the new patient for the usb+sd slot. would expect this in the future mba's

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

SO I can't instal windows bootcamp on a external?

9. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

No, bootcamp cannot be installed on an external. Internal only. Its unfortunate too.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

great I might exchange it since I only had it for less then one day though sad thing is their are no other mac's that offer intel's 5000 bummer

11. macrumors 6502a

You can but as has been said, you will have next to no room for eithor Operating system. I think I made my windows partition about 50GB as I only need a couple of programs on there that wont run (or wont run well) natively under OSX.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm when I go back to the apple store where purchased do they offer macbook air's that are 512GB storage or higher? Or is it only online?

Also how dose exchanges work if you paid using a check that went through electronically?

13. NewbieCanada, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013

macrumors 68030

If it's any help to you, there's no problem installing Parallels.

I have installed on mine:

Mavericks
    MS Office
    Aperture
    Parallels
    Eye TV
    XBMC
    The Sims 3 (about 8 GB)
    About 2.5 GB Aperture Library

And have about 67 GB left on the 128 GB drive. Since I only store things on here temporarily, it's more than adequate for my needs.

And this is the Windows Experience Index running under Parallels and Geekbench:

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502a

Yes most stores have stock of the 4GB RAM, 128GB Storage, i5 model, and 4GB RAM, 256GB Storage, i5 model as they are the standard ones sold. You can then upgrade the 4 to 8GB of RAM, i5 to i7 chip and also upgrade storage to 512GB of SSD. I am not sure what you stores carry there but here they carry the first 2 and then a third that has 8GB, i7 and 512GB Storage - i.e. a fully optioned up one, but anything else requires a special order that takes about a week or so to arrive.

No idea about the cheque option as you would have to ask your store

15. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

Return the MBA to an Apple Store, get store credit on a gift card. Go home and purchase the build to order on Apple.com and use the gift card and a credit card for balance.

16. tbluhp, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

going back and getting bester macbook

Ok so I had enough of the limited storage I need something like 1TB and that I can do modifications to if needed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17538890#post17538890

Other then the macbook air what else gives the intel 5000 processor?

Also I used ™ to backup everything and ™ reports I am using a new computer and is unable to continue why is this any work around? I don't want to do disk migration

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was told that you can buy apple gift cards to pay for full price for the item is this true? Or must you provide an debt card if so I would then just stick with whatever the apple store has to offer.

18. macrumors regular

Not sure what is happening with some of the owners hard drive space.

I have a 2010 11" 2GB/64GB model with Parallels installed, Windows 7, the usual Office 2011, Skype, Quicken, Chrome, and a few films, photos, music etc. This gives me about 11GB free which is fine. Any other material that I want is on an external hard drive that I use when needed.

Speed and responsiveness are fine. Only downside is no backlit keyboard.

tut

19. macrumors 68000

B...

How much space did you give W7?

20. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

I mean I guess you can, but then you would have to purchase another Apple store gift card at the store. You would be required to know what balance you would need in order to purchase the new MBA online. I don't know how many gift cards you can use online per order though. I know there is no limit in the store, so you may need to buy 2 and combine them.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502a

8 per order

22. macrumors 65816

you mean the backlit keyboard doesn't work in Windows?
    i'm not sure why it wouldn't work - it works for me in fusion.

23. macrumors 68040

As far as I know very few computers are shipping right now with the HD 5000 graphics. The Air was one of the first ones to market. Even the Windows ultrabooks that are shipping with the new Intel processors are mostly using HD 4400 and HD 4600 graphics.

You probably aren't going to get that kind of storage space in a thin and light notebook without paying a lot. Most newer premium computers are using solid state flash storage which has a lot of advantages (boot speed, program load times, general responsiveness, no moving parts) but large amounts of solid state storage is expensive.

You could probably get by with the 256GB model. That's plenty of room for OSX, Windows/bootcamp, and all your apps. Then if you run out of room you could keep movies/photos/etc. on an external drive.

----------

The 2010 models don't have a backlit keyboard at all.

24. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

Good to know.

25. macrumors regular

I let Parallels do its own thing, but Finder is showing it as 13.5GB.

tut