Macbook Airplane Adaptor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcl, Jun 3, 2006.

1. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Has anyone one come across a airplane power adapter that works with Macbook?

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

What do you mean by 'airplane adapter'? Do you mean something that plugs into the thingy next to the headphone jack on the arm rest, or a cigarette lighter convertor? Either way, there are none currently available that work with MagSafe. If it is a cigarette lighter adapter, you can get cigarette -> regular plug.

3. USA1776 macrumors newbie

He means something like this.

Can find any with the magsafe connector on yet though.

4. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

As what I call "the thingy that plugs into the thingy next to the headphone jack" None available with a MagSafe at the time. Wait a few more months.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I have this, and it works well with both cigarette lighter-type 12V plugs and airplane power ports. You're likely bringing your AC adapter anyway, so it doesn't add all that much weight. I agree that a mag-safe adapter would be ideal, but, barring that, an inverter works well.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I have one of these. It works perfectly with my MBP. It even comes with a short euro->figure 8 cable that you can plug straight into a MBP power adaptor.

7. dcl thread starter macrumors regular

dcl

RE: Macbook Airplane Adaptor

:)
    These will work

Thanks
    robbieduncan & jsw

8. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Which airlines have these adapters still?? I never came across these.

Please let me know. Also do they have them with business class only/

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

British Airways certainly have them on some routes. Long haul primarily in First/Business and Premium Economy. No luck for those in true cattle class though.

10. wako macrumors 65816

you mean the outlet? no airliner that I have seen ever had the adaptor...

basically from what ive seen, many airlines have the outlet, if it is a long flight. I flew in economy too. Im sure you can always call the airliner to see if the specific flight has it. Most of the time, before taking off the flight attendant would also annouce the ammenities the flight has, which includes the outlets.

11. spacehog371 macrumors regular

Unless your sitting in first class... they dont usually have power in the seats right?

12. caralck macrumors member

First class seats usually have them for each passenger. Coach seats can have them but it depends on the age of the plane and whether or not they did upgrades to them. And it's not always in each row and you end up having one outlet for 2 or 3 people and it's first plug first serve. When I was flying from dallas to honolulu while in school, i had my dad put me in a seat with an outlet and I had my computer plug ready to strike early lest my fellow row mate had the same idea. Usually I didn't have problems as the other person in my row either didn't travel with a laptop or I was faster :p

The best way is to find out what plane you will be on and look at the seating chart for that model. This is available online for most airlines. Or atleast for American and Hawaiian air (sorry, those are the only 2 I have flown recently.

13. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

Thats the thing I have. It works perfectly.:)
    EDIT: Mine is a lot older. I got it about 2000.

14. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I just flew Continental's long-haul flight from Newark to New Delhi (15 hours...one of their 777's) and every row seemed to have one seat per section (i.e. one in the center set of seats and one in each of the aisle side sections) with the laptop plug. Every seat doesn't have one on Continental's flights, so it'd definitely be best to find out ahead of time and try and grab an appropriate seat. I didn't get one but am not complaining since I got the seat at the front of the Economy cabin with double the legroom...makes 15 hours on a plane much more tolerable.

15. TeacherTom macrumors newbie

RE: Airplane adaptor

I was using a Kensington adaptor for my iBook, but now that I have a MBP, I wondered if Kensington was going to put out a MagSafe tip. So I asked them. This is what they said:
    "I understand your concern.
    However, I wish to inform you that the current Power adapters available with Kensington will not support a Mac Book Pro notebook. Moreover, we do not have any information from our Development team about the release of a new Power adapter exclusively for the Mac book pro.
    I earnestly apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
    Regards,
    P. Sudhakar Robert
    Kensington Technical Support"

It's not even in the future, so the inverter is the solution. I gave the Kensington adaptor to my son.

16. hktony macrumors newbie

New airplane power adapter from Apple

Apple has come out with an adapter to solve the problem.

Here's on the Apple Store site:

Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter

With a MagSafe Airline Adapter, you'll never again worry about losing power while traveling. Just plug it into your airline seat power port and keep your MacBook or MacBook Pro powered up for the entire flight.

Price: $59.00

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never seen a power port on an airline seat. What does it look like?

18. buffalo macrumors 65816

The Delta MD-88s that I usually fly in do not have the power plugs either.

19. wako macrumors 65816

the same ones you find in your car

20. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Seatguru can help you all find out which seats on which planes on which airlines have which amenities.

21. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Thanks for that:)

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, that's a sweet website. :)

Oh, like the ones used for the lighter? After having travelled to like 35 countries in my lifetime, I've definitely never seen one of those on an airplane, but I guess that's because I've never sat in 1st or Business class, and most of my flights recently have not been long haul flights. :(

Flying to Japan soon though, so here's hoping!