Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Anyone else experience this problem? I have a Netgear MR814 v3 and typically it takes a long time to pull an IP over wireless, like 30 seconds. Basically the airport connects, I see the name of the network flash up, and then there is another pause before the connection is active. I thought this was a problem with the airport as this doesn't happen when PCs try to connect to the WAP. However, I am testing a Linux based firewall box right now with the Netgear box acting only as a wireless/LAN bridge, so the Linux box is acting as DHCP server. And basically the airport connects and is active almost instantaneously. It doesn't even flash the name of the connected network.

Has anyone else experienced this slow negotiation? I am wondering if I set an IP reservation for the Airport MAC address if it will negotiate faster? I just find this odd as there are no reservation tables on the Linux box, is it just that much more superior to my dinky netgear box?

mrbobbo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
Any word on this problem?

Have you figured this out? I'm having the same problem and I can't find any help on the web.

Anyone else experience this problem? I have a Netgear MR814 v3 and typically it takes a long time to pull an IP over wireless, like 30 seconds. Basically the airport connects, I see the name of the network flash up, and then there is another pause before the connection is active. I thought this was a problem with the airport as this doesn't happen when PCs try to connect to the WAP. However, I am testing a Linux based firewall box right now with the Netgear box acting only as a wireless/LAN bridge, so the Linux box is acting as DHCP server. And basically the airport connects and is active almost instantaneously. It doesn't even flash the name of the connected network.

Has anyone else experienced this slow negotiation? I am wondering if I set an IP reservation for the Airport MAC address if it will negotiate faster? I just find this odd as there are no reservation tables on the Linux box, is it just that much more superior to my dinky netgear box?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.