Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BPerdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Here is my set up: main access point downstairs with linksys wireless router, upstairs I have an extender that is hooked up into my airport base station extreme. The airport then send the signal to my iMac which I am typing on now. I basically have strong wireless throughout the house. Will the MBA's airport work fine and get a fast and strong signal everywhere my iMac gets? I was just wondering because I read on here about the wireless of the MBA being weak? can someone please elaborate on the MBA's wireless capabilities interent wise? Thank you.

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I just took my MBA up to my bedroom and I've still got full bars. I've got a high gain antenna, so I'm not that surprised.

I have a MacBook Pro that I get about the same signal strength with. My understanding is that the MBA and the MBP act very much the same because they are in an aluminum case.

Sounds like for the sort of network you've got set up you have nothing to worry about.

mctheriot

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
i've got an Airport Extreme in the basement and get the same good signal on the 2nd floor that I get with my iMac.

No issues from my perspective.

Mark

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
No issues here with my AEBS. I had issues when I had a Linksys, but others have reported good results with those if you hard-set the speed and not use mixed mode, i.e. G-only or N-only.

Good luck.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Well, the signal strength is related to the Aluminum casing. That can be compounded with the use of appliances that interfere with the wireless signal. Different channels and ranges could help.

As a side note, your Macbook Air is only 3lbs and is uber portable. Just pick it up and walk closer to your airport.

BPerdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I dont think I should run into a problem. My friend comes over with his MBP all the time and connects to my wireless and we have no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.