Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

florianwagner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
hi there!

i'll be getting a macbook next week (i ordered it yesterday) and got a question. from my pc times i own a 5.1 speaker system with 3 cables to plug into the source. one for the rear, one for the front and another one for the center/subwoofer. is there any way to use this with my macbook?

edgeit

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2006
florianwagner said:
hi there!

i'll be getting a macbook next week (i ordered it yesterday) and got a question. from my pc times i own a 5.1 speaker system with 3 cables to plug into the source. one for the rear, one for the front and another one for the center/subwoofer. is there any way to use this with my macbook?

yeah man itll work fine with the green plug cable. i have a logitech z-5500 system that is hooked up through a single 1/8 in cable that i have run across my dorm room, ( i use the system from my 360 via optical its sick :). but for you yes itll work no problem...why/?? i dont know if 3 pins are needed for 5.1 surround and i dont know wy 1 cable will work but it does.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Assuming your 5.1 speaker set doesn't have a optical input, the only ways I can thing of to bring true 5.1 audio from your MacBook to your speakers:

1. Buy a external audio card that goes in to the usb/firewire port and connecting the speakers to it

2. MacBook has a optical audio out, so buy a decoder that transforms optical digital audio signal in to analog signal. One example would be Creative's DDTS-100.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I used a 1to3 headphone splitter that i got from radioshack, It's meant to take one headphone jak and make 3 jacks so you can plug 3 pairs of headhpones in. But I just used it to plug in my 3 plugs for my 5.1 speakers.

3 to 1 splitter = works great! all of the speakers work, nice and loud too.

(this doesnt do true 5.1 surround sound, it just sends the same stereo signal to the front speakers, the rear speakers, and the center/subwoofer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.