MacBook and Civilization IV

Discussion in 'Games' started by Toe, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

I did a search on the forums for MacBook and Civ IV, and still am not sure if it's worth the money for Aspyr's Civilization IV (or for other people, whether it's OK to save money not getting a Pro). So for the record...

Please post your real-world experiences with MacBooks and Civ IV.

Please indicate GHz, Core or Core 2, and if you completed the game (since the video gets more complex as it progresses).

For reference, here are the game specs, which say it requires a video card better than the MacBook's:
    http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/5
    http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Thanks! :cool:

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

More than graphics, like many strategy games, Civilization IV taxes the CPU and memory the most, on long games (the overnighter kind of games) later turns were a bit painful, the waiting time between each turn I mean, (but the game was still fun) but that was on my shoddy Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ with 1GB memory, on my CD Macbook Pro the game ran really well so I suspect it will too on a C2D MacBook with 1GB of RAM, just make sure you tone down graphical settings, you don't want that GMA 950 bogging you down.

Edit: Do keep in mind I played the game under Windows, not sure if the OSX version is significantly slower. Here is a link to a review which briefly mentions the MacBook, says low is the only playable setting: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/09/13/010444.php

3. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I don't have a Macbook, so I suppose my post is essentially useless (sorry), but I just wanted to chime in and say that Civilization IV is a great game. It has kept me up many nights on multiplayer with friends. :)

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would say that you need all the power you can get to run Civ 4. My MBP 2ghz runs it, but only okay. I can't imagine playing it on a MacBook. IMO, the best computer to run Civ 4 on would be a 24" iMac (with the 7600) or a Mac Pro.

5. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

6. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I had CIV on my 24" iMac with 7600GT and 2GB RAM. It was dog slow on anything other than small maps with few opponents.

I had to take it back and get my money back.

I've stopped buying Aspyr products - such shoddy cludgy spooged ports.

Perhaps the PC version is better? The Sims 2 definitely is.

7. phidauex macrumors member

I've been enjoying Civ IV on my Macbook. I'm using the Mac version (Universal Binary, even). I haven't tried it in bootcamp, because while it may be a bit faster, the game is totally playable on the macbook, and I haven't been left wanting more.

C2D 2.0ghz, 1gig ram, 80gig drive, Intel GMA950 integrated video.

Oddly enough, the game loads, then complains that it "doesn't meet hardware requirements, and won't run". But you click OK, and it runs fine. Strange. I suppose the GMA950 isn't technically supported.

I've got the same set to 1280x800 resolution, and though I forget what the graphics settings are, they are 'moderate', not all the way up, but not all the way down.

The game is quite playable. It does lag a touch when the games start getting really big, but it wasn't enough to deter me, and is certainly less than my 3.4ghz P4 (though its no power gaming machine either).

I recently played through an "Epic" game on a huge map with 7 AI civs. The amount of wait between turns never got above 3 seconds (not including the animations of events).

So anyway, I would say it works fine. It doesn't SCREAM, and you can't run at MAX GRAPHIXXX settings. But you'll still enjoy the game, and not be frustrated by it.

peace,
    sam

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I Spent all last night playing Civ IV on my Blackbook.

Played totally fine. I updated it to the rev C update,

The fans on the Macbook turned on, but that's about it....

played just fine.....

:)

9. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

on my macbook (2.0 CD, 1gb ram), I have no problems running it with graphics med to low end. The only time the game starts to lag is when I try to turn up the graphics. I'd go for it!

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I can't really understand how people in this thread are reporting no lag with full-screen resolution and medium graphics settings on macbooks (and others are reporting that MBPs only run it ok). I'm solidly in the latter camp, in any case.

I used to play on my macbook core duo, 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM. I don't really anymore, mostly because it's just too painful. I have every setting on low, play in 1024x768 windowed mode, and it's still slow. Early game it's not bad, but by the end it's just not fun anymore. (and I'm not someone who demands outstanding performance from my games)

I also play it some on a core duo imac 17" with 2 GB of RAM, and that plays pretty well with medium graphics settings and full-screen mode. Even still, though, it gets pretty bogged down by the late 20th century.

I don't know if people just have different standards or what, but I agree with the post that suggested playing on a 24" imac with 7600 or a mac pro. It will run on a lot less, but not well. Personally, I just don't really play anymore, in large part because it becomes so painful later on.