MacBook and MacBook Pro Exterior question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M. Malone, Aug 3, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    well, for a little, I felt I was sure I was getting a MacBook Pro, now I'm not :confused:

I'm in the market for a portable, to replace my old 12" PowerBook:

about me:

*I have a 20" Intel iMac with the 256 video upgrade: so I don't need graphics power from my portable as I always can go back to my iMac

*I NEVER play video games on my Macs, but if it does happen, it'll be on the iMac, not the portable

*I need a portable for college, and work

*I have come to the conclusion that the internals of both the MB and the MBP are the same, so quality should be at the same level..internally (right?).

*The advantage the MBP has in performance over the MB is meaningless to me, I do not need the video card, already got the iMac, and the backlit keyboard is not something I'm amazed with, I guess it would be nice to have, why not

My dilemma:

*I want a MB cause it's small, cause it'll be used primarily outside my house, just like my PowerBook, so carrying it everywhere I go is in mind.

*I want a MBP cause the aluminum design is what I have been used for the past 3+ years with my PowerBook, no scratches, no problem with hinges, no discoloration, but the MBP is bigger.

to conclude:

my question is the exterior of the MB, how good of quality is it in comparison to the exterior of the MBP/PB. if I get a MB, it would be the black one, is the black one as scratch resistant as the Aluminum exterior? Basically it all boils down to quality of the exterior 3 years down the road, not looks, looks don't matter much, and the price difference is not an issue. I just don't want to find out the MB exterior is so cheap a year after buying. I already know the MBP exterior will be fine from my experience with my PB.

thank you, and I am so sorry for such a long and REPETITIVE post :)
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location