macbook and max/msp

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by discodave3, Feb 1, 2007.

1. discodave3 macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    i am thinking about buying a blackbook with 2gb ram and i will be using it for some max/msp work, for live sound work/transformation etc. i was just checking to see whether a macbook would be suitable for this rather than a macbook pro. i'm a student and can't really afford the extra £200ish, and i think the pro would be overkill for my needs anyway as i have no real need for the graphics, bigger screen etc. i will also be using the system with digital performer as well as for general internet/e-mail/office etc, but i was mainly wondering about max performance. any opinions or thoughts would be great!
  2. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2006
    I have friends using max/msp with powerbook 12" g4s and powermac g5s with no problems for a lot of wild sound/interactive projects. So I doubt the macbook would see much of a problem?

Are you studying that at school? What kind of systems do they have for that
  3. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2005
    The macbook and macbook pro have identical CPUs. So there is no difference in audio work. Only difference mainly is the graphics chip.

I use Pd on an 867Mhz G4 Tibook.
  4. discodave3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2007
    thanks for your thoughts. yeh i'm studying it now, we have some dome imacs in the labs but they're not used for much of the intensive stuff, most of that is done on macbook pros or powerbooks. think i'm going to go for the blackbook, should be fine i think! cheers