MacBook and software for ICT course

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vidd, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I'm interested in purchasing a MacBook (2Ghz with 1GB of RAM) and I was wondering if I wanted to use it for an ICT course, what software should I load it with?
    Last year's course was based heavily on Microsoft Office and I'm assuming that this year's will be similar but there's no universal binary yet for it and I was wondering what then I should do.

iWork looks like a very attractive package and combined with iLife it covers word processing, presentations and webpage building but it lacks proper spreadsheet and database programs.
    Microsoft Office for Mac looks ideal except for the fact that I'd have to use Rosetta to use it and the speed might suffer to the point I'd rather use my Windows desktop.

What's the best option?

EDIT: I've been looking at their respective pages and neither mention Access, the database package. This was necessary last year, is it not available for Macs?
    Apparently the only substitute is FileMaker 8 and I can't justify buying it for just this project so I may just have to use my Windows machine.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Office will probably work fine with Rosetta, especially with 1GB RAM, I'm sure an Intel Mac owner can tell you for sure though.

3. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Thanks for your input.
    That's exactly why I posted here; I'd like some details from people who currently use it.
    EDIT: I'm especially interested in accounts of macs that use the 2.0Ghz processor or from Mac Mini owners since they also have their RAM drained for integrated graphics.

4. codo macrumors 6502

Be aware there is no MS Access for OS X. If your course depends heavily on it - as my Computing A Level does - you should consider dual booting Windows on your MacBook for Access.

5. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I wanted to avoid that, especially due to the limited space on a Macbook and the fact that I'd have to go and purchase a copy of XP but it seems to be inevitable.
    It seems best costwise, though, as I already have the complete Office package for Windows.