MacBook and wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sturtevant6, Jul 11, 2006.

1. sturtevant6 macrumors newbie

I bought a Belkin Pre-N router for my new MacBk. I have a DSL router. When I use the install wizard for the Pre-N, after it inspects my hardware and password, it tells me "The new set was not created." I have emailed Belkin 3 times, but have been ignored. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Did it come with an N card for the MacBook? The MacBook doesn't do 802.11n....only B and G unless you've added something.

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I always call and ask, it's much faster. By the way it should work I installed one for my in-laws and it worked fine... I don't remember how I set it up but it was a while back.

Nuc

4. JosiahPB macrumors regular

Could you explain why the MacBook doesnt work with 802.11N?

5. Think-Evil macrumors newbie

This is simple, Apple's wireless solution 'Airport or Airport Extreme' only supports 802.11g and 802.11b (802.11a supported in the MacBook Pro). There is for sure going to be an update to the Airport range in the near future.

Guide bold means UNSUPPORTED by airport
    802.11-legacy:
    avg speed:1 Mbit/s highest speed: 2 Mbit/s

802.11b:
    avg speed: 6.5 Mbit/s highest speed: 11 Mbit/s

802.11a (only in MBP):
    avg speed: 24 Mbit/s highest speed: 54 Mbit/s (range is 10m ish)

802.11g:
    avg speed: 25 Mbit/s highest speed: 54 Mbit/s (range is 30m ish)

802.11n:
    avg speed: 200 Mbit/s highest speed: 540 Mbit/s (range is 60m ish)
    ^Still on 2.4GH frequency

I would expect that a Aiport Card supporting 802.11n would be released around mid-year 2007.

apples aiport text on the macbook:

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

N isn't quite yet a standard, anyway. There should be a lot more N stuff showing up soon, but as of now, there's too much of a B and G infrastructure.

7. Luske macrumors newbie

Just got a Belkin G wireless router and am experiencing the exact same thing on my mini :mad:
    Has anyone by chance found a solution??

8. antechambre macrumors newbie

Try resetting everything multiple times

If you haven't already packed up your router to take it back to the store in anger, I got mine to work after 3 hours of toying:

I have a MPB OSX 10.4.8 with the Belkin Wireless G Router (

I completely ignored the install disc and the dead end I reached trying to let it configure the router by itself ("The new set has not been created." error message crap)

I turned on and plugged in everything, then reset the router, then reset my cable modem in that order. After much waiting and refreshing the router config page, the internet finally connected.

Hope that helps!