MacBook and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siddalee, Oct 25, 2006.

1. siddalee macrumors newbie

I have this nifty new MB, which I hope will last longer than my usual PC laptops' 2.5 years. I hope I can install Windows XP on it. But when I put in the disk, it just asks me what Bluetooth device I want to sent the file to.

Simple question: How to install the Windows XP operating system to the MB?

I did get on the internet so I could ask. That's a start, huh?

Thanks.

Terri

2. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

What version are you trying to install? At first, I think you need SP2. Of course, you need to use bootcamp to get started.

3. siddalee thread starter macrumors newbie

How nice you are to even respond. I hate it when folks come on a forum and ask a question that's been asked over and over. Of course. So there I go, sashaying in here and announcing, "Hi. I'm an idiot."

I have now searched my lil heart out.

I'm smarter now. But what a nightmare, going from PC to MAC.

To answer your question: I'm TRYING to install Windows SP1a. Am I SOL? What's my next move? Buy SP2?

And where IS the Option key on this thing? And the backspace. I'm exhausted.

Okay. so I'm still an idiot.

4. scott523 macrumors 6502a

That won't be possible. Apple's Bootcamp allows you to install only Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with SP2, or later on your Mac. Click here for more info.

Oh and the Option key would be considered the 'Alt' key (location wise) in the PC world.

5. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

:) You will like your new mac. There is just a little adjustment at first. The option key is next to the little apple button on the left and backspace is the delete button. http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ will get ya started for the windows install. BAD news though, you need SP2 to use windows.

6. siddalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Scott. I found the Option key. I'm working in the darkI've been at it so long, I just looked down and then rolled my eyes. Turn a LAMP on, idjit.

So I need Windows XP SP2. I'll get it. Then I'll be back. Should I survive.

I would ask you how to get Boot Camp, but I think I'll grow wisdom and look around for myself. It's turribly hard to be a rookie again, after using PCs for 20 years, Thank God there are places like this. And folks like you two.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Plenty more help and info in the Windows on Mac forum.

Note that you can turn your SP1a CD into an SP2 cd through a process called slipstreaming. There's a good guide on how to do that @winsupersite.com Google around.

Note too that you can also use your SP1a in Parallels without the same problems as Boot Camp.

B

8. siddalee thread starter macrumors newbie

Ow! Ow! Ow! My pore wee brain hurtz. :-D

I wish I enjoyed this part more. Exploring the whole info highway thingy. and crap.

Nor do I much care to install my ceiling fan or change the oil on my car.

I am, however, a stubborn wench.

Patience, persistence, and humor. In all things. Thanks again.

Terri

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is why Apple no longer recommends Boot Camp. Boot Camp is in beta for a reason. The process is a bit like changing your oil.

Depending on what you need Windows for, you might be better off just trying Parallels. http://www.parallels.com . Windows XP works great under Parallels for things like Office, etc... but not (yet) 3D games and/or other things that require direct hardware access (like burning CDs.) And it's MUCH easier to install.

B

10. Maskinmester macrumors newbie

I would also like recommend parallels. I've been using it at work for 4 months now - without any problems. It's fast and easy to use..

11. andrewface macrumors regular

andrewface

12. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

You don't need to buy SP2. If you have a CD burner on your old windows system you can slip stream your SP1a disc into a SP2 disc. Follow http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295, it will take you to a very easy-to-follow guide on how to do it.

I just ordered myself a MacBook and plan on doing that very thing :)