Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
sorry to beat this into the ground, but I was just on the phone with a Mac Genius who insisted that NO apple store will install 3rd party RAM for me.

He also gave me these price points for apple RAM (post-purchase): 512 mb = $100, 1GB = $300.

I'm way nervous to open up an MBP and start messing around with a screwdriver, but those policies seem a little intense. Does anyone have any documentation saying that apple WILL infact install 3rd party ram?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ero87 said:
I'm way nervous to open up an MBP and start messing around with a screwdriver, but those policies seem a little intense. Does anyone have any documentation saying that apple WILL infact install 3rd party ram?

Installing RAM is incredibly easy to do...you only have to remove three screws on an MBP. You should think about doing it yourself. Or find a friend who will do it. It literally takes 30 seconds...there's no good reason to pay someone to do it.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ero87 said:
sorry to beat this into the ground, but I was just on the phone with a Mac Genius who insisted that NO apple store will install 3rd party RAM for me.

He also gave me these price points for apple RAM (post-purchase): 512 mb = $100, 1GB = $300.

Will all depend on the Apple Store you visit, and the Mac Genius sitting there.

There is no requirement for Apple to install another retail store's RAM.

Go to a CompUSA, and they will install the memory for you for a fee (or free) if you buy it from them.

Bring in someone elses memory, and they will likely laugh at you.

But even at CompUSA, it'll depend on the person behind the service counter.

All depends on the day a person has had, and how clueless and pathetic a customer looks.

NOTE: Not saying buy from CompUSA, just using them as an example.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i've been disappointed with the knowledge of the salespeople at the apple stores, while the genius gusy i've dealt with have been really good.

two examples:

1. when the nanos first came out it was discovered that there was only USB-syncing. so i went to the store to see the nanos and mentioned that i wished they had kept FW syncing...and the woman salesperson was admant that you could still FW sync...i didn't press it b/c i knew she didn't have her facts straight, but little things like that matter, and she didn't know about it.

2. i went to see the MBs on tuesday and asked if i could see the battery removed because i read here on MR that the ram and HD were easily replaceable...neither of the salespeople knew where the ram slots were and that the HD was indeed easily replaceable (though it does void one's warranty)...granted, they had just seen the machines that morning for the first time and probably did not spend a couple of hours on the forums, but still, a little more knowledge from the salespeople would be nice.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chupa Chupa said:
They may be "geniuses" but they sure aren't lawyers cause the Moss-Magnuson Act makes it illegal to void a warranty because you use 3rd party parts if those parts were not the cause, directly or indirectly, of the product's malfunction.
No, it doesn't. It makes it illegal to void a warranty without written provisions for doing so. If the warranty says that you can't use third-party parts, then Magnuson-Moss doesn't help you.

A minor point, but this guy's been through enough misinformation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.