Macbook Applecare...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UberMac, May 27, 2006.

1. UberMac macrumors 6502

OK, I was pricing up my Macbook order and found this option in the Applecare section...what on earth is it?! "EMEA CC -HE contract uplift iBook"

Uber

EDIT: Education store if that makes any difference.

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Apple Care Extends your standard warranty (which is one year in teh US anyway) to three years...with phone support.

You can always wait until just before your one-year anniversary, though.

3. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes, I know what Applecare is. Usually Applecare is just called "Applecare" though. Is this just the same thing with some crazy name? I'll also point out that all purchases on the UK edu store come with 3 year Applecare free anyway...

Uber

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

UK EDU purchases have the standard three warranty now, but it's not AppleCare. That option adds the AppleCare phone support to the standard warranty. That's why it's cheaper than you'd expect AppleCare to be.

It could certainly be explained better on their site though...

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't know, then. Maybe someone else can help out. :)

6. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Roba macrumors 6502

I was told that it is the telephone support part of the APP. Student warranty is free but it does not include telephone support after the first 90 days.

8. majorp macrumors 6502

also if you come to sell your computer you cannot pass the warranty on like you can with applecare. that £58 will get you a warranty you can pass on, and telephone support.

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

10. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

On reflection - it's the HE store. Although they're pretty much the same except the rate of discount correct?

Uber

11. majorp macrumors 6502

yes, you only get this option on the HE store.

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

You've all got it wrong, sorry :p :

UK Education Store only:
    1 year warranty
    90 day telephone support
    So same as Joe Schmo public gets.

UK Higher Education Store only:
    3 year warranty on laptops and desktops
    1 year telephone support on laptops and desktops
    Can upgrade to AppleCare at a discount, for 2 more years of phone support.

There's no exclusion of warranty transfer on either of these in Apple's terms and conditions.

13. UberMac thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks for all the help guys. Don't think I'll bother with the upgrade :)

Uber

14. majorp macrumors 6502

although you might find it easier to convince the buyer that your laptop is covered for 3 more years if you pay the £58 as he can enter it in the support page and see himself. with the HE 3 year standard it only shows one year on the support page.

15. drdimmer macrumors newbie

Is anyone else lost? So if you were to pay the extra 50 odd quid for the apple care in the Higher Education Store, what do you get telephone support wise and warranty wise? I know the post above is suppose to explain it, but people seem to be saying different things, and the pdf on apple's site is about as clear as mud to me.

</noob>

16. majorp macrumors 6502

all you get for your £58 is telephone support and it is called applecare. without spending the £58 it is just a 3 year warranty.

the "3 year warranty" does not show up on the support page by entering the serial number although apple has assured me that it is covered for 3 years.

the "applecare" does show up on the support page showing 3 years support. if you sold the computer you could say it comes with "applecare" for the remaining time.

you might have a hard time trying to pass on the "3 year warranty", thats all im saying.

hope this makes it a little clearer.

17. drdimmer macrumors newbie

Thanks, a lot clearer, and is the telephone support for 3 years? along with the warranty?

Edit: Scrap what I just said, you've explained it loud and clear, just forgot to engage brain when reading :$

18. talz13 macrumors newbie

Aww, is that for the UK store only? That sucks... Is there anything special for the US college student store? Besides the $100 off mid-level macbook and applecare for $183