MacBook availability on Amazon/Other retailers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBigApple2006, Feb 20, 2006.

1. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

First post, but long time lurker. Congrats on the wonderful forum!
    I ordered a stock 1.67 (now 1.83) MB Pro on Amazon.com on Jan.19, right after the first rebate offer. Is there any news on expected shipping dates from Amazon and other Apple certified retailers? I still have a March 20 date, any hopes in getting it earlier than that?
    Many thanks!

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think you have a chance of it. However, if I were you, I'd be checking the Amazon product page for that machine several times a day. They often will put up "ships in 24 hours" when they get some in stock and ship new orders, before the pre-orders!

3. McCarron macrumors regular

Well it appears that the 1.67 models are now shipping from Amazon?? I suspect they entered the wrong quanity this model which shouldn't exist. So maybe good news for everyone who bought the lower end model?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_2/002-9810125-4877621?_encoding=UTF8

4. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

5. McCarron macrumors regular

Yeah I just realized that.

Nothing to see here, just move along! ;)

6. McCarron macrumors regular

I received a very unfriendly cookie cutter reply via email on my inquiry on the MacBook Pros ship date.

They are obviously not informed on the product very well because it has been released, and all my original email to them asked was if they could provide me a confirmation they are soon receiving their shipments or not because all their competitors are. So because they seem to want to lose my business I have my name on a list at the local Apple store incase Amazon doesn't pull through for me.

Anyone else have better luck getting an answer out of Amazon? Someone there has to know something.

7. ontheuptick macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about it. I bet it will be very soon.

I bought the Intel iMac, and here's my amazon story: I preordered it through Apple store, and they kept pushing back the date. Finally, the pushed it back to like March. I promptly cancelled my order, went over to Amazon to order, and it arrived the next day. Amazon had their shipment of the iMacs within a week of them starting to go out to the rest of the public.

8. McCarron macrumors regular

That's the first good news I've heard with reguards to Amazon. I have next day shipping on Amazon for the MBP, just wanted to hear that they at least are receiving them soon.

9. PLin macrumors 6502

I ordered my MacBook 1.83 (now 2.0) from Amazon on Jan 15. On Jan 18, when they announced the rebate, I called to see if I would qualify. I didn't want to cancel and reorder, because I didn't want to lose my place in line. I was told that since it was a preorder and that the rebate was an Amazon rebate, I would qualify.

I called on Jan 28 to check on the order and also to confirm that I do qualify for the rebate. This time, the rep told me that my order would not qualify, since it was outside the rebate date range and that the previous rep was mistaken. Thus, I cancelled the order, lost my place in line, and reordered.

I just called to see if they had any updates, and they said that the release date for the item is April 13. I explained that Apple is already shipping the product and that some resellers already have them, and the rep couldn't provide an explanation other than that they are not going to get any from Apple until April 13.

I don't know how accurate that date is, but if I really have to wait that long, I might consider getting it from somewhere else.

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I cancelled my order for a iPod mini when they first came out from Amazon because they were still quoting a month or more longer, and the Apple store had them in stock. I am a frequent customer of Amazon, but sometimes I cannot figure their shipping out. Sounds like this is a similar situation.:)

11. PieMac macrumors 6502a

As I just replied on another Amazon related thread: I ordered the 2.0 on Feb. 2nd with a ship date of April 5th and I also ordered the 1.83 on Feb. 10th with a ship date of April 11th. No, I'm not getting two, I'm just still trying to decide which to go with and I figure I have a little time to think it over. :rolleyes:

The 2.0 was purchased with the older rebate offer that has to be submitted by March 7th. I called and spoke with a customer service rep. and he assured me that the rebate would be honored with the late ship dates as the rebate is offered by Amazon. He also made a notation on my order just to be sure that there won't be any future misunderstanding. The 1.83 is the current rebate so I'm not as concerned.

I bought my last three Apple computers from Amazon...usually they ship well before the date listed. I would be very surprised if they didn't ship soon. Oh, and I also asked the cs rep. if he had any further info on the delivery date of the MacBook Pros in general and he said there is no way of finding that information out-that what I see is what he sees.

12. netb0y macrumors regular

netb0y

How soon? My amazon ship date is April 7 but I'm hoping its going to be much sooner.

13. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I would bet the first part to middle of March...but, again, that's just a guess based on past experience. The current ship estimates are blanket dates.

14. MacSyn macrumors regular

Boy! We, ordered from Amazon, still have another month and a half to wait... If Apple Store has the stock now, I'd rather pay the 8.375% of sales tax and have it now!

15. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I'll admit that as much as I would love to have the rebate and save on the tax, I have been giving thought to biting the bullet and putting an order in with Apple...and see which ships first. I admit that I did call the closest Apple store (two hours drive one way) yesterday and put my name on the list. I like my options.
    I just keep hoping that Amazon will come through...they usually do, but there does seem to be a bigger than usual demand for the MBP's.

16. brett4got macrumors newbie

It is very tempting to try cancel my order also. Maybe I just need to stop reading about other people getting theirs so I am not so tempted. The cost difference is just to big to ignore for me:

From Apple.com or local Apple store:
    $2499.00
    +$150.00 tax
    = $2,649.00

Amazon.com:
    $2499.00
    -$30.00 amazon first time credit card purchase
    -$38.78 amazon prime discount
    -$150.00 rebate
    = $2,281.21

Plus, when you use the Amazon credit card you earn gift cards to use at Amazon which for this purchase amounts to 2 $50 gift cards, so I basically get another $100 to spend on something else (like the USB modem or another 1GB of memory).

So in the end, I am looking at a difference of $468 for the chance to get my MBP somewhere between 1-5 weeks earlier ... it is still tempting ... but I think I will restrain myself.

Knowing my luck, if I did bite the bullet and paid the extra $468, Amazon would ship theirs out much earlier.

17. MacSyn macrumors regular

What is that $38.78 Amazon prime discount? How do you get it? I get 2% cash back from my credit card, so I'll pass the CC offer from Amazon.

18. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I think he meant the a9 discount.

19. brett4got macrumors newbie

Yes, sorry. It's called the A9 Instant Reward which allows you to save 1.57% on all orders just by using their A9 search engine. It usually kicks in after using their search for 2 days or so.

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

21. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

It must be nice to not have to worry about $40. Personally, I'll take it. (plus the no tax, and the 3% back on the Amazon card, and the $150 rebate)

22. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

but it is something and it is free...

I am thinking about buying it from amazon, just I just hope they have some in stock soon because if not, I am just going to pick one up from the apple store once they get some in stock.

23. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

I ordered from Amazon Jan. 14 and my shipping date has been, from day one, March 20. I am not too impressed with them at this point as their web site shows them having one used each, a 1.83 MBP and a 2.0 MBP, all the while stating that the MBP has not yet been released! :eek: :rolleyes:

BB

24. MacSyn macrumors regular

oh well, it's too late...

25. generik macrumors 601

generik